If you are a DirecTV subscriber and happen to encounter some problems with a Genie Remote, you can go online and access the DirecTV Help Center for instructions on how to fix common issues. However, if you’ve tried all those steps and the remote control is still not working, the only thing left to do is to reset the remote.

Unfortunately, the instructions on how to reset a remote control are not listed in the Help Center. But don’t worry because we got you covered. Today we’re gonna show you how to reset a DirecTV Genie Remote in just a few steps.

STEP 1
Get the DirecTV Genie Remote and point it away from the main receiver or any of its components.

STEP 2
Press the “Select” and the “Mute” buttons at the same time, holding them until the light on the remote flashes twice.

STEP 3
On the remote control keypad, press the numbers “9“, “8” and “1” all at the same time.

As pointed out by one of our visitors, another working option is to press the numbers “9“, “8” and “1” one after the other.

STEP 4
If the procedure was done properly, the light on the remote should flash four times and the remote control has been successfully reset.

If the light doesn’t flash four times, try to do it again and repeat the steps. Make sure that you accurately follow the steps provided above.

Most of the time, this will work and reset the remote control to its default factory settings enabling it to function properly. If it doesn’t, then the remote might probably be broken and needs to be fixed or replaced. If that is the case, then you’ll have to either contact DirecTV or go online and submit a request for a new/replacement unit.

Please take note that this tutorial was only tested to work on the Genie Remote (see above picture), not the DIRECTV Universal Remote Control. If you happen to have the Universal Remote model, you can still try and follow the steps listed above. If it doesn’t work, it means that it requires a different reset method.

I hope this quick tutorial was able to help you fix any issues you’re experiencing with the DirecTV Genie Remote. If you find this tutorial useful and helpful, please don’t forget to bookmark it or share it with family & friends or on your social media accounts.

If for some reason, this tutorial doesn’t help fix the issues you’re having with your remote control, check out this post on how to get a DirecTV remote replacement.

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Share:

administrator

Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

• Judy Long, June 3, 2020 @ 4:23 PM Reply

I tried to reset with the 981. It won’t do anything. So I turned the genie off manually. Then got another remote and turned on. Now the one I tried to fix won’t do anything. I tried what all said to do and nothing.

• JP Habaradas, June 3, 2020 @ 6:25 PM Reply

Hi Judy,
      Sorry to hear that it didn’t work for you. When you tried the 9,8,1 numbers, did you all at the same time or one after the other?

• Amelia Johnson, April 27, 2020 @ 8:29 PM Reply

You are a LIFESAVER! I have been watching the SyFy channel for two months now because I lost my DirecTV remote. I finally ordered a new one, and was using a YouTube video to program it to my receiver. The video said that most DirecTV devices are IR, so I sent to “IR/RF setting” and checked IR. Immediately, the remote lost all ability to communicate with the receiver and wouldn’t even pull up the menu so I could reset it. I was in flat despair and felt SO incompetent.
    Your instructions for resetting the remote were exactly what I needed, and now I don’t have to “shelter in place” without being able to access the programs my DVR was continuing to record for me, or change to anything other than SyFy. I love Science Fiction, but I have now seen everything they are showing 7 to 12 times, and some of them I didn’t even like the FIRST time I watched them.
    Bless you for making quarantine bearable again!

• JP Habaradas, April 28, 2020 @ 10:55 AM Reply

Hi Amelia,

I’m glad to hear that this simple tutorial has been helpful. Stay safe and have a nice day! :)

• Wilson, April 20, 2020 @ 11:20 PM Reply

I have this problem with the genie remote , the remote is going crazy I can’t stop it ,what I do I pointed in one direction and jump right away , it’s me crazy I need help thanks .

• JP Habaradas, April 28, 2020 @ 10:54 AM Reply

Hi Wilson,

Have you tried the instructions listed above? Resetting your remote might fix it.

• Lisa Sharpe, March 25, 2020 @ 9:04 PM Reply

Thank you so much for this information! I couldn’t change the channel-just turn on & off tv. Direct TV website was no help & I couldn’t get anyone on the phone to help. Instructions were easy & well explained! Thank you so much!

• JP Habaradas, March 25, 2020 @ 9:30 PM Reply

Hi Lisa,

You’re welcome! That’s practically the reason why I published this tutorial, because I couldn’t find the information from the DirecTV website.

• PJ, January 24, 2020 @ 8:01 PM Reply

Thank you so much. I have a headache from all that I read. And none of it fixed it until I found your page.

• JP Habaradas, January 24, 2020 @ 8:15 PM Reply

Hi PJ,

You’re most welcome! Glad to know that this tutorial is still useful and helpful five years later.