WordCamp: Las Vegas LIVE

WordCamp: Las Vegas LIVE

I’m now here with my friend Allan at the Palace Station Hotel & Casino for WordCamp: Las Vegas. We’ve received our badges and tshirts, setup our laptops and just waiting for the program to start and the first speaker to go up on stage. This will be my first time to live blog an event so please bear with me, okay?

Btw, you can also watch the live stream of WordCamp: Las Vegas at this link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wordcamp-las-vegas

8:30 AM – About 20 people here setting up their laptops, having breakfast, chatting, checking emails and stuff. All waiting for the program to start.

9:00 AM – Ethan Gahng, the first speaker for today is getting ready to talk about Viva La Network! Remixing Your Blog to Increase Traffic and Visibility.

9:05 AM – Some technical difficulties.

9:10 AM – John Hawkins doing the welcome and introductions.

9:15 AM – John Hawkins just gave out copy of Camtasia to one lucky attendee.

9:20 AM – Switch of speakers. Joseph Scott of Automattic will be the first speaker and will talk about WordPress APIs

9:40 AM – WordPress iPhone app 1.2 coming “soon-ish” according to Joseph Scott. Development of iPhone app for Android and other mobile platforms yes-ish.

9:50 AM – Joseph Scott talks about something interesting called “InterPress” (temporary name), a feature that enables WordPress blogs to talk, share information with each other.

10:10 AM – Next speaker is Ethan Gahng, talking about Viva La Network! Remixing Your Blog to Increase Traffic and Visibility.

10:35 AM – Ethan introduces Psolenoid, an intuitive, easy-to-use linking tool that allows bloggers to connect their posts to other, related posts.

10:40 AM – Ethan demos Psolenoid using Tumblr on WordCamp?

10:50 AM – 10 minute break

11:00 AM – Next Speaker is Dave Taylor and he’ll talk about how to screw up your reputation with a single blog post, comment or tweet

11:10 AM – Dave starts with “Everything’s a social network”. There are a lot of ways to screw up.

11:35 AM – Gerard Ramos and Chris Schultz with Voodoo Ventures presentation.

12:00 PM – Lunch Break

1:00 PM – Back to business. Everyone trying to settle in, choosing their seats and setting up laptops.

1:00 PM – Next topic: From blog to community by Liz Strauss.

2:00 PM – Break

2:05 PM – Next speaker is Shayne Sanderson who will talk about WordPress and the Bling #2.

2:15 PM – Niran Amir with a demo of WordPress plugin PicApp.

2:30 PM – Next speaker is Warren Whitlock and his topic is about using Twitter to promote your blog.

3:00 PM – 10 minute break

3:15 PM – Micah Baldwin – You Are The Center of Your Universe.

3:30 PM – Next in line is Jim Turner who will talk about Blogging for a Living.

4:00 PM – Closing and wrap-up by John Hawkins.

That’s all folks! Even though I only attended the Sunday session of WordCamp: Las Vegas, I still had a blast! I gained new insights and knowledge from the information that the speakers shared with us. Thanks to all the speakers, organizers and sponsors for making this event happen. Hats off to John Hawkins and the rest of the organizing committee. Looking forward to next year’s WordCamp: Las Vegas!

January 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

@Aldrin – You mean me? Hehe that would be nice but I don’t think I’m qualified. If ever there would be such a title or position, it should be someone who is at least either a WP plugin developer or theme designer. Me, I’m just an ordinary blogger who happens to be an avid WordPress fan and user. :D

2. Aldrin

January 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

How about the “WordPress Ambassador of the Philippines” title? ;)

Aldrins last blog post..The Journey to Cebu Starts now

January 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM

@Vincent – This is the first time I attended any blogging related event. Yes, like what I told Miss Dre, I posted it on my WordCamp: Las Vegas Photos post. :)

4. Vincent Chow

January 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Haven’t attend such event before, not even local ones. By the way, took any pictures?

Vincent Chows last blog post..Add “Email This Post” Feature using FeedBurner

January 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM

@Miss Dre – Yes, I made sure I did! Posted it on WordCamp: Las Vegas Photos. :)

6. Miss Dre

January 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Did you have a photo with the ma.tt? :D

Miss Dres last blog post..Gifts to Myself

January 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM

@loy – You don’t know you might have your dream come true one of these days. Bill Gates attending WordCamp? Hmm..it seems far fetched but its possible if someone will invite him to be a speaker. :)

8. loy

January 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM

It’s my dream to go to Las Vegas. I hope my idol Bill Gates will be in the next Wordcamp. hehe.. :lol:

loys last blog post..Do you like my blog’s theme? I’m willing to give it away!

January 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM

@doitz – It just happened that the nearest WordCamp was in Las Vegas, so I attended it. Thanks! :D

10. doitz

January 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM

wow! vonga! and las vegas pa ang seminar! more power jaypee online!

January 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM

@jennifer – its John Hawkins, not Walkins. :D

12. jeniffer

January 12, 2009 at 7:18 PM

john walkins… ayus.. sobrang prestigious nman pala nyan.

Join the tribute campaign for senior bloggista. See http://painuminmoko.idlip.net/?p=104 for more details if you are qualified.. :)

January 12, 2009 at 5:20 AM

@Ambo – Thank you! Yes, Las Vegas baby! Hehe :D

14. Ambo

January 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM

Nice one Brother! Hello Las Vegas! ;-)

Ambos last blog post..What Motivates You To Blog?

January 12, 2009 at 2:35 AM

@jan – Yes, the topics discussed by the speakers were very interesting and I really gained a lot of insight on different stuff and learned new things.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to relay the stuff I learned the way it was delivered by the speakers. The best thing to do is for you to watch the videos from WordPress.tv

January 12, 2009 at 1:25 AM

@jhay – Don’t envy me dude, you get to attend a lot of blogger events there in the Philippines. For me, I was just fortunate to be able to attend WordCamp Las Vegas. Yes, you definitely should attend the next WordCamp Philippines!

January 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Nice one, I envy you so much dude. Must really attend the next WordCamp Philippines.

jhays last blog post..Dragonball: Evolution – Movie trailer

18. jan

January 12, 2009 at 2:34 AM

The speakers tackled very interesting topics. I hope you can zero in on a couple of those when you have the time.:)

jans last blog post..7 Accomplishments of a Month Old Blog

January 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

@Gem – Yeah that’s true but its also nice to meet other bloggers especially those who are not from the Pinoy blogosphere. :)

20. Gem

January 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Agree with Winston. Iba pa rin kung Pinoys ang magkakasama!

January 11, 2009 at 9:10 AM

@Winston – Haha..I really wanted to go. If only it was near, I would’ve attended last year’s WordCamp Philippines. We’ll see, maybe this year or next year.

January 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM

@Dexter – Maybe you can schedule a vacation just in time for WordCamp Philippines, that would be the best opportunity for you to attend one. :)

23. Dexter | Techathand.net

January 11, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Nice Jaypee. I also want to attend that kind of gathering kaso wala sa saudi

Dexter | Techathand.nets last blog post..Motorola MOTOSURF A3100 Specification and Design

January 11, 2009 at 8:55 AM

@Gem – Yes you can if you decide to attend WordCamp Philippines this year and then it’ll be my turn to tune in to your live blogging. Thanks for the comment from Baguio, Philippines. :D

25. Gem

January 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Awesome! I hope I can do a live blogging too. And Las Vegas is indeed an event that shouldn’t be missed.

This comment is live from Baguio, Philippines. :-)… It’s almost 1 AM here and I’m getting sleepier. Hehehe. Enjoy!

26. Winston