facebook font size

Earlier this week, Facebook rolled out several updates including the Mobile Initiative with updates on its Facebook iPhone/Android apps. However, the most noticeable update and the one that got a lot reaction/complaints is the Facebook font size. A lot of Facebook users are complaining about the smaller font size because it’s causing them to squint and strain their eyes just to be able to read stuff on Facebook.

I didn’t notice the new font size because I use the Facebook for iPhone app most of the time. I found out about it because of several status updates posted by my friends. It’s not certain whether the font size will be reverted to the original size but according to Facebook, the smaller font size is just an experiment on making the site more efficient for users.

Because of the amount of complaints and frustration I’ve seen from many Facebook users, I’ve decided to write this short and simple tutorial to help them with the Facebook font size issue. This tutorial will enable users to adjust Facebook’s font size to make it bigger and more readable (this is applicable to any website). This procedure doesn’t require any changes done to your Facebook profile settings but utilizes a built-in “universal” shortcut command for all web browsers.

It doesn’t matter what web browser you’re using – Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. because the procedure is the same. All you need to do is login to Facebook and once you get to your profile, just press and hold CTRL then press the + (plus) key and that would automagically resize the font on your browser, making it bigger and easier to read.

HowTo: Adjust Facebook Font Size

Here’s a sample I made while viewing my Facebook profile:

BEFORE

Facebook Small Font

AFTER

Facebook Small Font

If you compare the BEFORE and AFTER screenshots, you can see that the font is a little bit bigger after performing the procedure and is now easier to read.

Usually, doing the procedure once is enough to make the font size readable for most people, but in case it’s still too small for you to read, you can make the font size larger but repeating the process. In case you want to revert and/or make the font size smaller, instead of the + (plus key), press the – (minus) key. So press and hold CTRL and then press (minus).

Btw, some users may not experience any issues with Facebook’s new font size due to web browser settings. Also, if you’re logged in to Facebook on the iPhone or Android app then you also won’t be affected by this update. It’s still uncertain whether Facebook will revert back to the original font size or provide font size options, so for now this tutorial can be used as a temporary solution while the new smaller font size is still in effect. I hope this short and simple tutorial will be useful for those having problems with the Facebook font size. Please don’t forget to share this with your friends on Facebook.

Anyone having problems reading stuff with the new Facebook font size? Do you prefer or hate the smaller font size? Please share your thoughts.

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Share:

administrator

Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

• mario, December 28, 2016 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Only the font when I make a post is enlarged… these tips are to enlarge or make smaller the whole web page…
    How do I change the font ONLY for my posts

• Holger, January 29, 2017 @ 5:21 AM Reply

Yes, if you find the answer to your question, I would also like to know. I just want to change the font size on my posts, which currently defaults to 24pt.

• may, February 19, 2017 @ 4:00 AM Reply

I went into inspect element and manually change the font size from 24 to 14.

• Judith, December 20, 2016 @ 8:55 PM Reply

I changed the font size on my iPhone FB app by going to settings-General-Accesibility-Larger text. Turned it on and adjusted the continuum to larger (to the right). Worked perfectly!

• Gale, November 16, 2015 @ 1:43 AM Reply

This did not work for me!! I am on a mac computer. Any other suggestions?

• JP Habaradas, November 16, 2015 @ 9:38 PM Reply

Hi Gale, thanks for sharing. On Mac OS X, instead of the Control key use the Command key together with the + or – keys to zoom in/out of the page to make the text bigger or smaller.

• anna, October 19, 2016 @ 9:30 AM Reply

to hit command and the + sign in the Facebook works but it pushes your messenger list on the left off the page …..thanks jp habaradas

• JP Habaradas, October 19, 2016 @ 9:36 AM Reply

You’re welcome! Yes, it does push the messenger off the page because what basically is happening is that the whole page is being enlarged. But it’s a small trade-off considering you can now read Facebook posts better with a bigger font size. :)

• anna, October 19, 2016 @ 9:59 AM

Thanks JP Habaradas …now i know and won’t keep trying to figure it out …..✔️

• denis hornsby, November 29, 2016 @ 10:23 PM Reply

This method using control and plus or minus simply changes the total page and not just the text size. How can I change the text size without changing the whole page size ???

• JP Habaradas, November 30, 2016 @ 11:23 AM Reply

Hi Denis, unfortunately this is the only available option right now. Maybe one day Facebook will provide users an option to increase/decrease the default font size on their website.

• Kellie, November 12, 2015 @ 7:53 PM Reply

I updated my FB App for my IPhone 6 and now the font size is huge! Nothing else is this way, only FB App.. Any ideas on that?

• JP Habaradas, November 12, 2015 @ 8:08 PM Reply

Hi Kellie, can you please give me the version of the FB app that you have installed? You can check it by going to the App Store and go to Updates and look for the FB app, you’ll see the version # there.

Also, can you send me a screenshot of the FB app with the huge font size? You can send it to jphabaradas [at] gmail.com Thanks!

• alison, September 16, 2015 @ 5:06 AM Reply

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful and I am now using Facebook on a browser instead of the Facebook app and am able to get a more readable size of font.

• JP Habaradas, September 21, 2015 @ 11:39 AM Reply

You’re welcome! Glad I could help. If an update comes up that allows the Facebook mobile app font size to be resized, I’ll update this article.

• alison, September 15, 2015 @ 7:27 AM Reply

Fix does not work on a tablet, do you have a fix for that please?

• JP Habaradas, September 15, 2015 @ 7:30 AM Reply

Hi Alison! like I mentioned in previous comments, this tutorial only works for the web version of Facebook and not on mobile apps.

There’s no way to change the font size on the mobile apps unless the Facebook dev team adds the option in a future update.

• Debby, July 15, 2015 @ 4:21 PM Reply

That’s how you increase the font from a PC or laptop. Even using the accessibility to enlarge the text doesn’t increase the font on your facebook application.

• JP Habaradas, July 15, 2015 @ 4:25 PM Reply

Hi Debby, yes that’s true. Unfortunately, this method only works for the web version of Facebook. They haven’t made this option available on their mobile apps.

• Sally, October 29, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Dale, December 2, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

Can’t believe how easy that was, and that I never knew that before, Thanks!

• JP Habaradas, December 2, 2012 @ 12:15 PM Reply

You’re welcome Dale! Now that you know how to do it, you can help out your family and friends. :)