The red paperclip that started it all.
Kyle Macdonald had a very ambitious dream of trading this red paperclip for something bigger or better and keep trading until he gets a house of his own. He had no idea that he would achieve it a year later.
This is his story:
1) On July 12th, 2005 I posted a picture of one red paperclip
2) He traded my one red paperclip with Rawnie and Corinna for a fishpen.
3) Which was exchanged with Annie for a door knob.
4) That Shawn saw and bartered his Coleman stove.
5) That was then swapped with Sgt. David J. for a red generator.
6) That Marcin eyed and switched it for one instant party (1 beer keg, 1 neon Budweisier sign & 1 I.O.U. for a kegÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s worth of beer).
7) That he traded Michel for his snowmobile.
8) That Jeff upped to a trip to Yahk, British Columbia (includes return airfare for two people from anywhere in North America to Cranbrook, a day of skiing, meals, and of course, a snowmobile trip to Yahk).
9) And then swapped with Bruno for a cube van.
10) That Brendan upped the ante with one recording contract from Club Treehouse.
11) that Jody traded for a year’s rent in an apartment in Phoenix, Arizona (1 bedroom, 1 bath, historic bungalow style duplex with 9 foot ceilings, oak floors, living room with fireplace, separate dining room, new kitchen, laundry room. 700 square feet).
12) and was swapped with Leslie for one afternoon with Alice Cooper.
13) that Mark switched for a KISS snowglobe.
14) that Corbin turned into one movie role (includes one paid, credited, speaking role in a film entitled Donna on Demand that will be shot this fall; room and board during filming and return airfare from anywhere in the world).
15) and was finally traded for one house by the town of Kipling Saskatchewan Canada. Aside from the house, he would also receive the Key to the town, a day as Honorary Mayor, honorary lifetime citizenship, declaration of One Red Paper Clip Day and construction of the world’s largest red paper clip in his honour, a community welcome package for him as the Town’s newest resident and $200 in Kipling Kash.
Kyle’s new house in Kipling, Saskatchewan, Canada.
A strange way to get house don’t you say? But anyways, he was able to realize his dream and achieve his goal in a year’s time. He would soon have his own house in 503 Main Street Kipling, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Check out Kyle Macdonald’s blog.
*images taken from Kyle Macdonald’s flickr set.
@kyle – if that's how you look at it then you can consider it as a "rags to riches" story.
He got a house. More often than not, people have to wait a friggin long time unless something like death happens and it is usually more or less a lifetime commitment to a debt that will last for a long time.
@kyle – i don't really consider it rags to riches coz first of all, he wasn't that poor and second, he didn't get that rich. you get what i mean?
It's a true rags to riches story, I'll say that much.
@gbert – yup, a different way to own a house but effective. he had a dream/goal and he did something to achieve it.
@dre – amazing indeed! strange ideas can produce magnificent results.
@eric – sure, why not? who knows, you might be the first one from Asia to do it. as long as you are determined and you have faith in yourself i don't think it's impossible.
can i also do that here in manila?
ahahaha para mag ka bahay naman ako.. mmm 1 startbucks mug in exchange for a house?
wow. that's amazing.Ü
what a way to own a house… anybody can mortgage every property they got just to have a house, but with a paper clip? grabe guid iya suerte… :)