As the main tech person in our church, I regularly help set up or fix/troubleshoot devices, and once in a while, I’m also asked to give advice/recommendations whenever a new computer or electronic device needs to be purchased.
When our Treasury department needed to upgrade their laptop, they asked me to help them find a suitable replacement – one that will perform well, won’t get obsolete or outdated quickly, and fits their budget.
So I went ahead and searched online on Amazon and BestBuy. I also tried different brand websites like Asus, HP, Dell, and Samsung just to name a few.
After several minutes of browsing the various websites, I was able to narrow it down to about three laptops. We eventually decided to get the Dell G15 5511 Gaming Laptop because it had better specifications overall.
Aside from having slightly better specifications, the Dell G15 5511 was also on sale for CAD$1,399.99 (the MSRP was CAD$1,649.99). I was also able to get a coupon code that gave an additional $150 discount, bringing down the total price to CAD$1,249.99 (before taxes).
Another reason why I picked Dell is because of my own personal experience of owning a Dell product. I have had the Dell Inspiron 5490 All-In-One Desktop for over 2 years now and I haven’t had any problems with it so far.
DELL G15 5511 TECH SPECS
- Processor: 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H (24MB Cache, 4.6 GHz, 8 Cores)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti 4GB GDDR6
- RAM: 16 GB DDR5, 4800 MHz dual-channel
- Storage: 512 GB M.2 PCle SSD
- Display: 15.6-in Full HD (1920×1080) 120Hz
- Operating System: Windows 11 Home
- Power Supply: 180W AC Adapter
- Battery: 6-Cell Battery, 86WHr
- Wireless: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2×2) Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
- Height: 26.9mm (1.06 inches)
- Width: 357.3mm (14.07 inches)
- Depth: 272.11mm (10.74 inches)
DELL G15 5511 FEATURES
- Vivid Visuals – Get fully immersed in every experience thanks to the smooth rendering from discrete graphics up to NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050 and vivid colors of the FHD display panel up to 120Hz with 250-nits. Plus, with up to 8GB GDDR6 of dedicated memory, you can experience thrilling action with faster loading times and a quieter system.
- Game Shift Technology – Give yourself a turbo-boost of power with a simple press of a button. The Game Shift function is activated by pressing FN + the Game Shift (F9) key and triggers a dynamic performance mode within the Alienware Command Center by maximizing the fans’ speed to keep your system cool while the processors work harder.
- Thermal Cooling – Alienware-inspired thermal design features optimal cooling thanks to dual air-intake, ultra-thin fan blades, copper pipes, and four strategically-placed vents. As a result, you can expect your system to stay cool when the action heats up.
- Alienware Command Center – With the Alienware Command Center on Dell G Series, not only can you tailor the hardware for each and every game you play, you can personalize the space and setup to make your software look and feel precisely the way you want it, without interfering with your gameplay or other activities.
PORTS & SLOTS
- SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 3
- USB Type-C with DisplayPort with alt mode x 1
- HDMI 2.1 x 1
- RJ45 Ethernet Port x 1
- 3.5mm Headphones/Mic x 1
Although I wasn’t able to use it for a long period of time, I was still able to put it through some basic tests and I was very impressed with its performance.
The machine boots up really fast and it can open up or switch between apps very quickly. It was able to handle Civilization IV on max settings pretty well – the gameplay was smooth and there was no lag or screen tearing.
With an NVIDIA RTX 3050 dedicated graphics card, 11th-Gen Intel Core i7, and 16GB RAM, the Dell G15 5511 Gaming Laptop is a great machine at a reasonable price. The build quality is great, design and the colors go nicely together.
The only thing I don’t like about the Dell G15 5511 is that it is a bit on the heavy side weighing in at around 2.519 kg or 5.55 lbs. Unless you plan on bringing it with you on trips, the weight shouldn’t be much of an issue.
The Dell G15 5511 Gaming Laptop is a good option for those who are looking for a budget-friendly gaming laptop or a powerful machine for video editing.