411 on WordPress 2.1

UPDATE: WordPress 2.1 “Ella” is now available for download.

WordPress 2.1 “Ella” is going to be released tomorrow. This will be the first major release since version 2.0. WordPress 2.1 as any other typical major release will address security & bug fixes and also feature new functionality.

Not all people are happy with the release of WordPress 2.1, mainly because of plugin compatibility. Many plugins won’t work with 2.1 because of the deprecation of database table variables. My blogger friend Jhay talked about this earlier. I still have to check whether the plugins I use for this blog are compatible or not, then I’ll decide whether to upgrade or not.

Are you ready for WordPress 2.1? Will you immediately upgrade? Before you do just that, there are some important things that you need to know about it.

Aaron Brazell talks about the 10 things you should know about WordPress 2.1

1. Jaypee

January 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM

@Jorge – Oh okay then. Looking forward to the featured categories plugin. Thanks anyways!:)

2. Jorge Cosgayon

January 26, 2007 at 11:54 AM

care to share your hacks with us?

I would, but they're kinda site specific… they're actually inline queries embedded in the templates themselves LOL. Remnants of the WP 1.2 days before themes were available. The customizable post listings plugin does most of what I want better IMO. But I'm working on my featured categories plugin at the moment, and I'll definitely share it as soon as I get all the kinks out :p

3. Jaypee

January 24, 2007 at 10:33 AM

@Tess – If you're new to WP, I think it would be better if you start right away with the 2.1 version. Just check the plugins that you want to use if their compatible and also check your webhost's MySQL version.

4. Tess

January 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Hmmm…I'm new to WP and mine's version 2.0.7. I'm having second thoughts about upgrading because I'm still trying to get used to it. Hmmm…

5. Jaypee

January 23, 2007 at 8:53 AM

@dimaks – Feedback is always essential for any product. It's good for both parties, producer & consumer. Btw, is this Marketing class? LOL

@Jam – Same here, except for version 2.0.7 which only needed a few files to update.

@Jorge – That's what most are saying and I hope that's what's gonna happen. Hehe. Btw, care to share your hacks with us? :)

@Dre – Yikes, 2.0.4!? That's too far behind. Hehe. You need to upgrade. Remember, better safe than sorry! :D

6. Dre

January 23, 2007 at 6:35 AM

my WP is still on version 2.0.4 :P

7. Jorge Cosgayon

January 23, 2007 at 3:51 AM

It shouldn't take long for the plugin authors to fix their apps, the most noticeable changes are in the table vars, but most of the api hooks worked just fine with my hacks ^_^

8. Jam

January 22, 2007 at 11:06 PM

I don't usually upgrade immediately. I read reviews first of the new versions before finally deciding to upgrade my installation.

9. dimaks

January 22, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Albeit upgrades are awesome, there is also the issue on product timing. Oh well, there is the feedback thing for the later times and necessary improvements.

10. Jaypee

January 22, 2007 at 12:48 PM

@Ria – Don't mention it. You're always welcome! :D

11. Ria

January 22, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Thanks mate…. I must have been really ill not to know that until now.. thankies for the links youre a star xx

12. Jaypee

January 22, 2007 at 9:40 AM

@Aaron – You're most welcome! I didn't even expect you to be here. Hehe But thanks for dropping by. :)

I hope that it only takes a few weeks for the authors to update the plugins. Then I can update to 2.1 :D

@ade – Yeah, you have to check that too. I'm glad that my host is always up-to-date.

@jhay – No problemo. Link love right? ;)

Same here, I won't immediately upgrade. I'll have to check my plugins first.

@Jim – Yeah probably. But most of us don't need new plugins. What we need are updated versions of the ones we're using right now. Most plugins will be updated in a few weeks time, but I guess there will be a few that wouldn't be upgraded or will take a long time.

It's Habari right? The one that's hosted in Google Code. I've heard about it. We'll see when it comes out. :)

13. Jimpur

January 22, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Agree with Aaron. Give it a few weeks and there would probably tons of new plugins or themes.

I'd like to try Habary though. Maybe it's better than WordPress.

January 22, 2007 at 5:24 AM

Thanks for the mention dude. I'm not jumping right in for the upgrade. I'll sit it out until most of the plugins I use become updated, but it has opened a new opportunity for me; seriously evaluate the plugins I use.

I already have a plugin or two to be dropped from usage, others would be replaced by better ones, the release of 2.1 has helped me in doing some 'spring cleaning' in my blog.

@ Ade: Your host is not using MySQL 4.0+? That's strange…

15. ade

January 21, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I'm not really sure if my host's SQL version is up to par with 2.1. I'm gonna consult with him first. Will have to wait out on this awesome upgrade.

16. Aaron Brazell

January 21, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Thanks for the link. Give 2.1 a few weeks and plugin authors that have not updated their plugins likely will.