Install Adobe AIR on Ubuntu

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala a few days ago. I know its a bit late, but the reason why I didn’t do it earlier was because I didn’t want to mess up my customized Ubuntu “Mac” desktop. What made me decide to do a fresh install was because my old Ubuntu partition was only 5 GB and I was already running out of space. This time, I created a bigger partition – 40 GB. Anyways, the upgrade was quick and it went smoothly. Since it was a fresh install, I had to reconfigure everything and reinstall all the programs and applications that I need. One of it was Adobe AIR which I need to run my Twitter client of choice – TweetDeck.

Installing Adobe AIR on Ubuntu can be quite tricky if you’re not quite familiar with the commands and if you’re new to Linux/Ubuntu. So for the sake of those users, I’m sharing this short step-by-step tutorial on how to install Adobe AIR on Ubuntu.

Here’s how:
1. Download the Adobe AIR installerhttp://get.adobe.com/air/.

2. File name should be AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

3. Make sure you save it in the Home folder. Click on Places > Home Folder
Ubuntu Home Folder

4. Open the Terminal. Click on Applications > Accessories > Terminal.
Ubuntu Terminal

5. Run the following command on the Terminal:

chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

6. Next run this command on the Terminal:

sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

The Adobe AIR installer will open and you can proceed with installing it. That’s it, you’ve just installed Adobe AIR on Ubuntu. You can now start installing your favorite apps. Just download the .air file and double-click on it and Adobe AIR will automatically install it.

NOTE: To avoid getting errors or having problems with the installation, make sure you’re logged in as the root user when you do the installation and/or when you save the Adobe AIR installer in the Home Folder.

Hope this short tutorial helps you install Adobe AIR on Ubuntu. If you have any questions or need further help with the installation, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or send me a message via the contact page.

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Share:

administrator

Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

• JP Habaradas, June 26, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

@John – You’re welcome! Glad I could help. :)

• John Boxall, June 26, 2010 @ 7:44 AM

Thank you for sharing with us how to get Air going on Ubuntu! You’re a lifesaver.

• JP Habaradas, May 19, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

@Nathan – You’re welcome! :)

• Nathan, May 19, 2010 @ 3:17 PM

Thanks for this easy to follow tutorial!

• JP Habaradas, April 25, 2010 @ 2:45 PM

@DougG – You’re most welcome! Glad to know that this simple tutorial was able to help you install AdobeAIR on Ubuntu. :)

• DougG, April 25, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I’m a VERY new Ubuntu user, and I had no idea how to get AdobeAIR installed. You instructions worked like a charm!

• chris, February 11, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

The Package Manager has seemed to have fixed the problem now.I had a hard time when I installed it on Linux Mint after I installed air it asked for a Restart and then when it restarted it was gone.

I am now Running Air in Kubuntu on a Gnome desktop but have very little use for it but there are some nice apps available on Air

• Jena Isle, February 5, 2010 @ 2:21 PM

Very informative, but I find it too much for my mentally challenged knowledge about internet applications..lol..can I just buzz you, if ever? lol…best regards.

• Internet Industry News, February 5, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

As a proud South African I am pleased to say that I wholeheartedly support Mark Shuttleworth’s Ubuntu Linux endeavour, and it is undoubtedly destined to become my operating system of choice. I am due for a new laptop soon, and will then run my old laptop on Ubuntu to start playing with it. I can not wait!

• Jhay, February 5, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

One of these days I’d set aside a partition in my laptop for Ubuntu. I so miss this OS.