UPDATE: Anki, Inc. the company that makes and sells this product has been bought by Digital Dream Labs.
For those who are not familiar with this product, it is an educational toy robot that helps kids learn about coding. It is made by a robotics company called Anki, Inc. That name might sound familiar if you’ve come across their first product, Anki Drive which is a racing game that allows users to control small toy cars using their smartphones (Android & iOS devices).
By the way, this is not going to be a detailed product review. I’m just going to share the basic product features, technical specifications, some unboxing photos, and initial impressions.
- AI and Advanced Robotics – Good luck getting Cozmo to stay still. With four motors and over fifty gears, he explores and discovers like a mini-Mars rover. He doesn’t just see you; he gets to know you. A 30fps VGA camera and facial recognition software let him remember interactions. You’ll never have to guess how Cozmo is feeling. He wears his heart right on his 128 x 64 resolution facial display. Additionally, this little guy is a dreamer. If your onboard CPU evaluates thousands of potential future states each second, you would be too.
- Adorably Personable – Thanks to AI, Cozmo can express hundreds of emotions, recognize you, and remember your name. He even evolves the more you hang out.
- Super-Powered Smarts – Cozmo is made of 300+ parts that create one super smart, super entertaining robot. With edge detection, He is safe to explore on his own, but he prefers together time.
- Fearless Explorer – Switch to Explorer Mode and see what Cozmo sees. You can guide this robot to go places, prompt him to greet people and pets and use Cozmo’s lift to move his cubes around. It’s open-ended fun.
- Game Player – Cozmo is literally a game-playing machine. Whether lifting his Cubes or challenging you to play games such as Quick Tap, Keepaway, and Memory Match, he’s always up for action. Regularly scheduled updates bring fresh ways to play and learn with Cozmo. Recently added games include challenges of speed and puzzles that test your mind such as Code Cracker, Stack Attack, Poppin’ Locks, Cube Tennis, Robo-Sham-Bo, and Robo Showdown to name a few.
- Create with Cozmo – Cozmo’s Code Lab is designed for children to explore, organize, and express their ideas creatively by programming their Cozmo. Begin with Sandbox, create complex projects with Constructor, and use the Python SDK to tap into Cozmo’s full capacity.
- Beginner Sandbox Mode – You can begin with Sandbox and create complex projects with Constructor, and use the Python SDK to tap into Cozmo’s full capacity. The Sandbox Mode is the best place to start coding. Simply snap together blocks to create your first project, like making it sneeze or sing a song. Complete challenges to customize your creations and grow your skills.
- Intermediate Constructor Mode – Take your coding skills to the next level with the Constructor Mode. Intermediate coders can create more complex projects with endless possibilities, like designing games on Cozmo’s display or coding an interactive dance party.
- Almost Human – With clever facial expressions, highly-reactive body language, and unique voice, it’s like it rolled right out of a movie and into your life.
- Decidedly Durable – Easier than you’d think and tougher than he looks, this educational toy robot is meticulously engineered for durability and security.
- High-tech, Not Technical – With a beginner-friendly interface, it is the perfect educational robot for kids and adults to learn to creatively code.
- Higher Camera Resolution – New 2MP camera will enhance his facial recognition; improving his ability to recognize pets and even know if you are smiling.
- Full-Color Display – A new full-color display will replace the previous monochrome screen, letting your new robot friend to express a wider range of emotions.
- Product Dimensions: 5 x 7.25 x 10 inches
- Weight: 2.62 lbs
- Battery: Lithium-ion
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi
- Facial Recognition: Yes
- Compatibility: iOS or Android device
- Display: 128×64 resolution
- Camera: 30fps VGA
- Motors: 4
- Gears: 50+
- Manufacturer recommended age: 8 years & up
- Warranty: 90 days
- 3 Power Cubes
- Charging Dock
Setup was quick and easy. You just have to download and install the Cozmo app from either the App Store (iOS) or Play Store (Android). Once you have the app, open it and it will guide you through the setup process. Just follow the instructions or prompts on the screen and you should be fine.
When you have successfully connected it to your app and Wi-Fi network, it will download a firmware/software update.
My son is loving it so far and enjoying playing with his Cozmo. This product might not be for everyone but overall, Cozmo is a fun toy robot that can stimulate your kids’ creativity and help them learn how to code at the same time.
Where to Buy:
At the time of writing this post, Cozmo Collector’s Edition is available on Amazon Canada for $230 (US$185) before taxes and shipping.
UPDATE: Digital Dream Labs have recently released a newer version, Cozmo 2.0 which you can purchase from the official website for US$299.99 (CAD$380).
If the treads and power cubes break or get lost, you can purchase replacement power cubes and replacement treads.
Aside from the robot itself, there is a bunch of other stuff that you can purchase to help make your child’s experience more fun and educational like the Create with Cozmo Coding Workbook and the CozmoNAUT Coding Curriculum which was developed in partnership with the Carnegie Science Center.