WordPress for iPhone/iPad Version 2.6 Now Available

WordPress

UPDATE: If you haven’t updated to WordPress for iPhone/iPad version 2.6, then don’t! Tried opening it after I updated and it crashed. Tried several times to no avail. Tried the delete and reinstall trick but still doesn’t work. Now I can’t open the app as it keeps on crashing. I suggest that you hold up on updating until the WordPress dev team releases a fix for this. Oh yeah, next time make sure to read the reviews first before updating. I learned it the hard way.

Was browsing the App store on my iPhone and updating my apps when I saw that the WordPress for iPhone app had an update. When I opened my WordPress Dashboard to check on my blog, I found the announcement from the official WordPress blog that WordPress for iPhone/iPad version 2.6 has just been released.

Screenshot:
WordPress for iPhone/iPad v2.6

Here are the improvements and new features on the latest version of the WordPress for iPhone/iPad app:

• Video. Record, upload, attach, and play videos within the app. Yay for being able to catch your friends’ and co-workers’ most embarrassing shenanigans creative moments with iPhone video and publish them immediately for all the world to see on your WordPress site.
  • A total rewrite of the way local drafts are handled, to prevent the unintentional loss of your pending posts.
  • Autosave/post revisions. Bam! One of the “oh, thank goodness” features of the web app makes it into the iOS version.
  • Easier setup. Faster and easier process for adding your sites to the app.
  • Media Library. We’re gradually getting closer to the media management you’re used to in the web app.

I never use the WordPress for iPhone app to write articles but rather for moderating comments here on JaypeeOnline. Nevertheless, the latest version does have pretty good new features and improvements. I think users who regularly use the app to blog/publish stuff will love the addition of the Video and Media Library features.

One of the things/options I’d like to see added to next update of the WordPress for iPhone/iPad app is the ability to access the Spam folder. Why? Because when moderating comments, I sometimes mistakenly flag a comment as spam instead of approving it. And since I can’t access the spam folder, I have no way of retrieving the comment and I’m forced to log on to the main WordPress Dashboard just to do it. And when I’m on the road or I don’t have my laptop with me then I’m stuck and I’ll have to wait til I get home or get access to laptop.

You can download WordPress for iPhone/iPad version 2.6 from iTunes or via the App store on your iPhone or iPad.

October 22, 2010 at 1:55 PM

@Abhik – Oh okay. The WordPress for Nokia/Symbian can be found here – http://dev.nokia.wordpress.org/

2. Abhik

October 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM

@Jaypee, I noticed that Android App right after commenting..

But, didn’t find any news on Symbian Application.

October 18, 2010 at 6:40 AM

@Abhik – There’s already a WordPress app for Android devices and they’re developing one for Symbian devices.

4. Abhik

October 18, 2010 at 6:38 AM

I have seen this working in one of my friend’s iPhone 4. Looks great, but I am waiting for similar app for Symbian and Android platform.

October 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM

@Harsh – You’re even fortunate because you were able to access the app after the upgrade. In my case, after I upgraded everytime I tried to access/open the app, it crashed.

Btw, they’ve released WordPress for iOS 2.6.1 which fixes the bugs. I’ve tried it and it works fine now.

6. Harsh Agrawal

October 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I updated my wordpress app to latest 2.6 version and first thing which I did was to try new video post thing..
    As soon as I ended up recording video and tried adding into my post (from iPhone), it crashed…
    I thought latest version solved lots of bugs..but I believe it’s still there…
    Anyways I welcome new feature and they are really useful…

October 4, 2010 at 5:10 PM

@Sourish – Yes, it has fewer options compared to the regular WordPress dashboard. This app is good for basic blog posts or blogging on the go. ;)

8. Sourish @ Jailbreak Iphone 4

October 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM

im using this on my ipod touch , but dont find it much useful … only got fewer options

Sourish

October 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM

@icechen1 – Yeah, I use that plugin here on JaypeeOnline. :D

10. icechen1

October 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM

The iPhone WordPress theme plugin(WPtouch) makes your site looks like a mobile app when visited on mobile phones. Pretty cool!