WordPress for iPhone/iPad Version 2.6 Now Available
UPDATE: If you haven’t updated to WordPress for iPhone/iPad version 2.6, then don’t! Tried opening it after I updated and it crashed. Tried several times to no avail. Tried the delete and reinstall trick but still doesn’t work. Now I can’t open the app as it keeps on crashing. I suggest that you hold up on updating until the WordPress dev team releases a fix for this. Oh yeah, next time make sure to read the reviews first before updating. I learned it the hard way.
Was browsing the App store on my iPhone and updating my apps when I saw that the WordPress for iPhone app had an update. When I opened my WordPress Dashboard to check on my blog, I found the announcement from the official WordPress blog that WordPress for iPhone/iPad version 2.6 has just been released.
Here are the improvements and new features on the latest version of the WordPress for iPhone/iPad app:
- Video. Record, upload, attach, and play videos within the app. Yay for being able to catch your friends’ and co-workers’ most embarrassing shenanigans creative moments with iPhone video and publish them immediately for all the world to see on your WordPress site.
- A total rewrite of the way local drafts are handled, to prevent the unintentional loss of your pending posts.
- Autosave/post revisions. Bam! One of the “oh, thank goodness” features of the web app makes it into the iOS version.
- Easier setup. Faster and easier process for adding your sites to the app.
- Media Library. We’re gradually getting closer to the media management you’re used to in the web app.
I never use the WordPress for iPhone app to write articles but rather for moderating comments here on JaypeeOnline. Nevertheless, the latest version does have pretty good new features and improvements. I think users who regularly use the app to blog/publish stuff will love the addition of the Video and Media Library features.
One of the things/options I’d like to see added to next update of the WordPress for iPhone/iPad app is the ability to access the Spam folder. Why? Because when moderating comments, I sometimes mistakenly flag a comment as spam instead of approving it. And since I can’t access the spam folder, I have no way of retrieving the comment and I’m forced to log on to the main WordPress Dashboard just to do it. And when I’m on the road or I don’t have my laptop with me then I’m stuck and I’ll have to wait til I get home or get access to laptop.
You can download WordPress for iPhone/iPad version 2.6 from iTunes or via the App store on your iPhone or iPad.