Just want to give a heads up to all WordPress users out there in case you haven’t logged on to your admin dashboard and missed the notification.
WordPress 4.6 was released yesterday afternoon and is now available for download or update. This latest release is named in honor after jazz baritone saxophonist Park Frederick “Pepper” Adams III.
Check out the video below to know more about this release:
WordPress 4.6 New Features
- Streamlined Updates – stay on the same page while you update, install, and delete your plugins and themes.
- Native Fonts – dashboard now takes advantage of the fonts you already have, making it load faster.
- Inline Link Checker – WordPress now automatically checks for broken links.
- Content Recovery – WordPress saves the content to the browser as you type.
Under the Hood Changes & Fixes
- Resource Hints
- Robust Requests
- WP_Term_Query and WP_Post_Type
- Meta Registration API
- Translations On Demand
- Customizer APIs for Setting Validation and Notifications
- Multisite, now faster than ever
If you plan on updating your WordPress installation, please be sure that you make a backup of your site. Files that need to be backed up are the wp-config.php, .htaccess, custom files and the wp-content folder. It is also recommended to deactivate all active plugins before performing the upgrade to avoid any conflicts or issues.
Users who have enabled the automatic background update can sit back and relax because the system will automatically do the upgrade. In case you didn’t enable this feature then you will have to login to your admin dashboard and go to Dashboard > Updates then click on Update Now. Those who prefer to do the upgrade manually can download the WordPress 4.6 zip file from the official website and upload it via FTP.
Anyone else downloaded, installed, and upgraded to WordPress 4.6? Which new feature or improvement do you like best? Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.