The WordPress dev team has just released WordPress version 3.7.1 which is a maintenance release. If you’re one of the almost 2 million WordPress users who’ve updated to their installation to WordPress 3.7 “Basie” and haven’t disabled the automatic background updates feature then you don’t have to do or worry about anything as the update will be done automatically.
WordPress 3.7.1 contains 11 bug fixes which includes the following:
- Images with captions no longer appear broken in the visual editor.
- Allow some sites running on old or poorly configured servers to continue to check for updates from WordPress.org.
- Avoid fatal errors with certain plugins that were incorrectly calling some WordPress functions too early.
- Fix hierarchical sorting in get_pages(), exclusions in wp_list_categories(), and in_category() when called with empty values.
- Fix a warning that may occur in certain setups while performing a search, and a few other notices.
For those who are still using WordPress versions prior to version 3.7 and would like to upgrade, then you’ll have to either do it via the admin panel — Dashboard > Updates > Update Now or do it manually by downloading it from WordPress.org. If you haven’t still made this a habit or practice, make sure that you make backups of all your important files – wp-config.php file, wp-content folder (themes, plugins, etc.), .htaccess file and other custom files. And don’t forget to deactivate all active plugins before upgrading to avoid any conflicts or issues.
Btw, if you already have WordPress 3.7 installed and would like to check if your site is compatible with automatic background updates, then you should install the Background Update Tester plugin.
Although WordPress 3.7.1 is just a regular maintenance release, it can be considered very significant because it is the first-ever version of WordPress in history that doesn’t require user intervention or assistance. The update is totally done behind the scenes, automagically!
Have you upgraded to WordPress 3.7.1 already? Anyone else running on older versions prior to 3.7? What’s keeping you from upgrading?
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn commissions at no additional cost to you. We are reader-supported so when you buy through the affiliate links, you are also helping or supporting us.