A few weeks back, I blogged about basic image editing as a new feature that will be included in the upcoming version of WordPress. Aside from the basic image editing feature, there are a number of new features that have been added. Dougal Campbell, who recently installed a pre-alpha version of WordPress 2.9 on his blog, gives a quick rundown of some of the new features of WordPress 2.9.
WordPress 2.9 Features:
- Post Thumbnails – you can add an image that will be automatically displayed with the post.
- “Trash” status – deleted posts, pages and comments will be to the trash and can be recovered at any time.
- Image editing – you can do basic image editing/manipulation (rotate, flip, crop) to your uploaded images.
- Comment metadata – lets plugins and themes use the arbitrary metadata for comments same as that of posts. it also makes it easier for plugins to display “popular” comments.
- Custom post types – gives WordPress more CMS capabilities and gives more flexibility and options on how content is organized.
- Media embeds – basically Viper’s Video Quicktags being implemented in the WordPress core. lets users easily embed videos from YouTube, Google Video, DailyMotion and any service that supports oEmbed (YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo, Viddler, Qik and Hulu).
- register_theme_directory() – plugins can add additional theme directories which enables plugins to have its own themes.
The Post Thumbnails feature is an awesome addition. I’m not sure how it works and if its the same as the TimThumb script that my theme uses but this means that you don’t need a third party script to use post thumbnails. I know a lot of WordPress were happy to find out that the basic image editing capabilities were being added to WordPress 2.9. This means that you can now edit images even if you don’t have an image editing program installed on your computer. For those of you who post a lot of videos on your blogs, the Media embeds is definitely a welcome addition, right? This new feature will make it easier and faster for users to embed videos on their posts, something that gave users a lot of headaches in the past.
The “Trash” status is something that I’ve been wanting to have on WordPress for a long time now. I’m very happy to know that we’re gonna have it soon. With this feature, you would be able to recover posts, pages or comments that you’ve accidentally deleted. Like me, I’m sure you guys have experienced this once or twice in the time that you’ve been using WordPress.
How about you guys, what do you think of these new features in WordPress 2.9? What are the features that you like most or the feature/s that you think would be the most useful? Please share your thoughts.