WordPress 2.9.2

WordPress 2.9.2

The WordPress dev team just released WordPress version 2.9.2 a few minutes ago. This is a security release that addresses an issue where logged in users can peek or view “trashed” posts that belong to other users or authors.

For those who aren’t familiar, one of the new features included in the release of WordPress 2.9 is the “trash status” for posts, pages and comments. With this feature, users have the option recover or permanently delete posts, pages and comments that have been deleted.

If you’re running WordPress 2.9 or 2.9.1 and have a multi-authored blog or have registered users whom you don’t trust, then you need to immediately upgrade your install to WordPress 2.9.2. You can do the upgrade automatically via the WordPress dashboard – Tools > Upgrade menu or do it manually.

As a safety precaution, I recommend that you create a backup of your WordPress database as well as make backup copies of your wp-config.php file, .htaccess file, wp-content folder and any other important or custom files that you have on your web server. It’s always good to have backups of these files just in case something goes wrong, you will have something to revert to.

Download and upgrade to WordPress 2.9.2

Anyone else who has already upgraded to WordPress 2.9.2?

1. omel

March 5, 2010 at 6:12 AM

Upgrade is not really a problem, getting traffic to my blog is, would someone be so kind to leave a comment on my blog, never urge to help a fellow filipino blogger.

February 20, 2010 at 11:05 AM

@Blogger Affiliate – Its really like that at first but when you get used to it, it would be easy that you can probably do it with your eyes closed. Hehe

Btw, I always recommend WP users to do the upgrade manually. Gives you more control and when done right, doesn’t cause you any problems and has less risks than doing the automated one.

3. Blogger Affiliate

February 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I recently Started blogging and when I install WordPress my hosting installed 2.9.1 instead of 2.9.2.
    And I had to manually upgrade the wordpress to the latest version. though it was not tough though initially I thought of it as quite scary.

February 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM

@Kashif – I see. I know how it feels, I’ve been there before. WordPress is much user friendly and easier to upgrade now than it was when I first started using it. Like I said in the previous comment, its always a good practice to backup first before doing an upgrade.

5. Kashif

February 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I am still very new with wordpress so before I make and updated, I have to back up my entire installation.

February 17, 2010 at 4:15 AM

@Geek – You’re welcome! It’s always a good practice to make backups of your WordPress database and files before doing an upgrade. Better safe than sorry. ;)

7. Geek with an iPhone

February 17, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Thanks for the Update…Just updated my blog with latest 2.9.2 after taking a clean backup :)

February 17, 2010 at 2:40 AM

@Latief – That’s great! Good to know that the upgrade process to 2.9.2 went smoothly for you. You’re welcome!

9. Latief@AnotheBlogger

February 17, 2010 at 2:39 AM

I just upgraded to 2.9.2 and everything is OK. Thanks :)

February 16, 2010 at 12:55 AM

@Blasting Mind – It’s always good to keep your WordPress blog up-to-date. You’re welcome!

11. Blasting Mind

February 16, 2010 at 12:52 AM

I just finished updating my WordPress. Thanks for the info. :)