The built-in search capability of blogs using WordPress only searches posts and but not pages and comments. Isn’t that weird? I think this is a major issue that they should fix or look into. The Search Everthing WordPress plugin enables the search of your blog’s pages and comments.
The Search Everything plugin doesn’t require any hacking or modification. All you have to do is download, unzip, upload to your webhost and activate it from the Plugins section of your WP dashboard and presto, you’re done! One thing about this plugin is that it could take a long time to query the comment database especially if you have lots of comments and posts in your blog. The author is planning to add an option that lets the admin choose whether to have pages or comments or both in the search. I’ve already installed this to my blog and you can try it yourself.
Search Everything Options:
- Search Highlighting
- Search Every Page
- Search Every Tag
- Search Custom Taxonomies ( new )
- Search Every Category
- Search non-password protected pages only
- Search Every Comment
- Search only approved comments
- Search Every Draft
- Search Every Excerpt
- Search Every Attachment (post type)
- Search Every Custom Field (metadata)
- Exclude Posts from search
- Exclude Categories from search
- Download the plugin and unzip it.
- Upload the “search-everything” folder to the wp-content/plugins directory.
- Go to Plugins on the WordPress dashboard and activate the Search Everything plugin.
- Go to Options > Search Everything to configure the settings.
Download the Search Everything plugin from the official WordPress plugin repository.
Anyone else tried using the Search Everything WordPress plugin? Do you know of any other plugins that have/offer the same kind of features and functionalities? Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.