For those of you who use Firefox, I’m sure you’re familiar with it’s inline spell checking feature. WordPress has it’s spell check option but I never use it because of Firefox’s automatic inline spell checking. It helps me when I write or proofread my drafts. It makes it easier and faster because it immediately underlines a misspelled word with a red line.

However, some Firefox users are having problems with the inline spell checking function not working with the new editor in WordPress 2.1. I found out that this problem is caused by one of the default settings of the version of TinyMCE that is being used by WordPress.

To fix this problem and enable the Firefox spell check in WordPress 2.1, you can download the plugin called FFSpell. It turns the Firefox automatic spell checker back on in TinyMCE. It’s easy to install because it doesn’t need any configuration. Just upload the file into the plugin directory and activate it from the Plugins panel and you’re good to go!

To know more about this issue or to download the FFSpell plugin, visit Ottodestruct.com

Do you use the built-in inline spell checking feature on Firefox? Anyone else using Firefox also experience this issue on WordPress 2.1? Have you tried installing the FFSpell plugin by Ottodestruct.com to enable the Firefox spell check on WordPress 2.1? Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Share:

administrator

Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

• JP Habaradas, March 15, 2007 @ 6:09 AM

@ash – Oh I see, the risk is not worth it. Anyways, you can still visit your favorite blogs with IE. You just have to sacrifice on some features that Firefox has and IE doesn't. :D

• mr nice ash, March 15, 2007 @ 3:47 AM

yup, it does. i can install it, i can use it, but if they noticed i'm using it, done.! . so i just stopped installing it again.

• JP Habaradas, March 14, 2007 @ 9:19 PM

@ash – Guru? I don't think so. I still have a looong way to go before I can consider myself that. Thanks for the compliment though. You can only use Internet Explorer at work? That sucks! What if you install portable Firefox on a USB drive and bring it to the office? Would that work? :D

• mr nice ash, March 14, 2007 @ 9:52 AM

You're really a guru. Keep it up. btw, as much as I want to, I can't use firefox now. You know. This job really ruins my blogging. :D

• JP Habaradas, March 14, 2007 @ 7:50 AM

@dimaks – True! Without it, I'm sure I'll have lots of misspelled words on my posts. Hehe :D

• dimaks, March 13, 2007 @ 10:43 PM

inline spell works fine with my fox :) its really a big help while making drafts.

• JP Habaradas, March 13, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

@jhay – Yup, this is another one. I always used the plain text editor coz I never liked using the visual editor. Thanks! :)

@christian – We share the same sentiments regarding the visual editor. This is for those who use it and I know that there are a lot of WordPress users who do. :)

@Ymir – Hehe..maybe you really are good in English. Let me know if this helps you fix the problem. :)

@an2net – Really? You didn't see any inbound links from other blogs? Better wait 'til the contest ends before you release your new layout. Just to be sure. Hehe

Why'd you give up on WP? I never tried using MT. :D

• an2net, March 13, 2007 @ 6:51 PM

I didn't even know that I was nominated. LOL and to think am going to release my new layout this week. Marahil ma disqualified ako no?

WP addik. I gave up on WP. MT paren I guess. :P

• Ymir, March 13, 2007 @ 5:51 PM

gotta try this.. i have noticed this problem for quite sometime.. i thought it was impossible for me hitting all the right spelling.. lolz

• christian, March 13, 2007 @ 3:34 PM

Well, that plugin is not for me because I don't use the visual text editor. I really abhor it.

• jhay, March 13, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

This is another issue with the rich-text editor of WP 2.1? Hmm…I never really encounter this issues because I use the plain-text editor since last year.

But yeah, this one's another brilliant fix-it post. :D