Was checking my mail earlier morning when this headline from CNN caught my attention: “Freed man now uses Twitter to help friend“. Here’s a short summary and some excerpts from the article that I read from CNN.

james karl buck
James Karl Buck

James Karl Buck, an American student working on a photography project in Egypt for his master’s thesis was arrested together with his interpreter while taking photographs of local anti-government protests over low wages and rising food prices. He was able to get out of jail with the help of Twitter*.

James Karl Buck was released from a Mahalla jail after sending a one-word blog post from his cell phone through the Twitter Web site. The message — “Arrested” — alerted all of his friends on the site of his detention.

When his college found out about the situation, they hired a lawyer who then got him out of prison. Now that he’s a free man, Buck is using his Twitter network (611 followers as of writing) to help free his friend Mohammed Maree.

mohammed maree
Mohammed Maree

“He’s only in prison … because he wanted to help me,” Buck said. “Now I’ve got to repay the favor.”

Mohammed Maree was an Egyptian veterinary student who offered to be his interpreter and help him with his project. Maree is still being detained in prison as of this moment.

CNN’s full story here

‘m currently following Jam

If you’d like to get updates regarding this story and/or join in helping free Mohammed Maree from jail, you can follow James Buck on Twitter – http://twitter.com/jamesbuck or on his personal blog Journalism is Not a Crime.

*Twitter is a social-networking blog site that allows users to send status updates, or “tweets,” from cell phones, instant messaging services and Facebook in less than 140 characters.

*photos taken from CNN.com

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Share:

administrator

Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

• Megan Abott, February 22, 2010 @ 4:20 AM Reply

wow thats incredible, being british this wasn’t even in our news but i wish it had been. Another reason to love twitter lol x

• Michael, May 25, 2009 @ 4:18 AM Reply

with twitter, you can earn money PLUS! you can save a friend hehehe. That was a great story. Thanks for the post.

• JP Habaradas, December 12, 2008 @ 6:40 AM Reply

@vanjohn – You mean ask the readers via poll? I can do that but not right now. But if you ask me, both are useful. In my case, I use Twitter to network with other bloggers and promote my blog. Everytime I publish a new post, it gets published by TwitterFeed as a tweet and becomes my status on Twitter. So everyone who follows me on Twitter sees it. As for Plurk, most of my Filipino online friends and bloggers are there so its like a place to hang out and chat. :D

• vanjohnn tiu, December 12, 2008 @ 6:38 AM Reply

hmmm. I never knew much about Twitter until now, when I just checked it, Jaypee, favor… try asking the viewers, which is more prefferable: Twitter, or Plurk :D

vanjohnn tius last blog post..Ms. Velez 2008 Final Night! Part 1: Festival Round.

• JP Habaradas, September 10, 2008 @ 6:55 AM Reply

@Hussein – Kahit matagal na yon comment basta hindi ko pa nasagot, nagrereply ako. Was pretty busy with personal stuff and had problems with my laptop. :)

• Hussein, September 10, 2008 @ 6:50 AM Reply

Hala. Tagal na nung comment ko ah. Where have you been? :D

Husseins last blog post..Why Join Pepperjam Network

• JP Habaradas, September 3, 2008 @ 6:15 PM Reply

@Noreen – Yes it is. Glad you liked that story. Yeah, its been a while but thanks for dropping by and for informing me about your new URL. Take care & have a nice day! :)

• Noreen, September 3, 2008 @ 6:10 PM Reply

wow that’s really interesting!!!!!

btw, tagal ako di nakadalaw sa blog mo…lumipat na naman ako ng url hehehe TC!

• JP Habaradas, August 28, 2008 @ 11:20 PM Reply

@Laarni – I’m sure there’s also an interesting story involving Plurk but just not as unique and interesting as this. Or maybe, it hasn’t happened yet. :D

• Laarni, August 28, 2008 @ 11:18 PM Reply

Interesting! I wish there is a Plurk story like this din. harhar.

Laarnis last blog post..Let’s talk about your hair on your pits, girls.

• JP Habaradas, August 27, 2008 @ 7:25 PM Reply

@Mahalia – I know, times change fast and the advancement of technology is very rapid. Who would’ve even imagined something like this happening and how Twitter got a person out of jail. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Mahalia, August 27, 2008 @ 7:22 PM Reply

Fifteen years ago, this would not be possible. My how times change. Good for him he brought his cellfone along. If it were in the days of our lolas, it would have taken years before any word of his arrest. And a few more years for a lawyer to post bond. :wink:

Mahalias last blog post..Meme na Ining

• JP Habaradas, August 18, 2008 @ 8:20 PM Reply

@Jehzeel – Haha..that’s right. I guess some already did transfer to Plurk but still kept their Twitter accounts open. :)

• Jehzeel Laurente, August 18, 2008 @ 8:18 AM Reply

good thing his twitter followers did not transfer to plurkkkkk :grin:

Jehzeel Laurentes last blog post..How To Lose Four Inches of Fat in Just Two Weeks?

• JP Habaradas, August 7, 2008 @ 9:45 AM Reply

@Modest – Too bad you didn’t get popular but at least nothing bad happened during your trip and you’re safe. ;)

• Modest Prom Dress, August 7, 2008 @ 9:44 AM Reply

I was just in Mexico and kept telling myself that if I ever got arrested I would do the same thing and become popular in the internet world. But I was all safe and nothing happened.

• jerome, July 21, 2008 @ 5:22 PM Reply

Hi. My name is Jerome Herrera. I have a forum called Penster Online. It is a forum where Filipino writers can improve their writing skills and talk
    to each other. The main goal of the forum is to find the writer in every Filipino. I was wondering if you are interested in exchanging links. Penster Online
    can be found at http://www.pensteronline.com If you are interested, please email me at [email protected] with the title of your blog/website and the
    address. Thanks and God bless.

• JP Habaradas, July 21, 2008 @ 4:50 AM Reply

@pepPeR – His friend Mohammed Maree was released about 2 months after this story was released. Thanks for the compliment and for dropping by. :D

• pEpPeR, July 21, 2008 @ 4:48 AM Reply

It’s good thing that there are still some people who would take such kind of risk in order to expose some things that the world should also know. I hope that he would be able to help his friend as well to get out from prison. Nice blog.

• JP Habaradas, July 13, 2008 @ 6:10 AM Reply

@Hussein – Yeah, napabayaan ko kasi sobrang busy tapos nasira pa yon laptop ko. Pero eto, I’m back to blogging. Anyways, maraming salamat sa suporta. :)

• Hussein, July 13, 2008 @ 6:05 AM Reply

Oops. Long time no update ah.. :(

Husseins last blog post..Free Premium WordPress Theme From UBD

• JP Habaradas, July 5, 2008 @ 6:10 AM Reply

@bluepanjeet – Yeah, that’s true and like what Ade mentioned, its good Twitter wasn’t down when it happened.

(Regarding the PBA this year, my blog isn’t one of the finalists and I don’t even know if it was nominated. Thanks anyways for your support.)

• Entrepreneur, July 5, 2008 @ 6:10 AM Reply

Wow, what an incredible story! And to think that I’ve thumbed my nose at Twitter.

• bluepanjeet, July 5, 2008 @ 6:07 AM Reply

good thing his twitter is wired to his mobile… proof that today’s technology is powerful as ever

happy weekend bro!

(PS just checking out your PBA nomination, have no news about it, keep me posted if you need power vote… im behind you!) :wink:

• JP Habaradas, July 4, 2008 @ 6:20 PM Reply

@Ucilelek – What is complicated? The story or how to use Twitter like he did?

• Ucilelek, July 4, 2008 @ 6:15 PM Reply

:roll: so complicated….

Ucileleks last blog post..About Google Adsense ads Format

• JP Habaradas, July 2, 2008 @ 8:40 AM Reply

@narendra – Yes, very interesting indeed. :D

• narendra.s.v, July 2, 2008 @ 8:37 AM Reply

that really interesting with the use of Twitter :wink:

narendra.s.vs last blog post..Windows xp gone. what vista got, Did you know?

• JP Habaradas, June 29, 2008 @ 11:50 PM Reply

@Jan – Thanks for the info. :)

• Jan Alvin, June 29, 2008 @ 11:47 PM Reply

WordPress 2.6 will be available this July, check out my blog.

Jan Alvins last blog post..Download WordPress 2.6 Beta 1

• JP Habaradas, June 25, 2008 @ 9:05 PM Reply

@Manila Freelancer – I’m sure the world would be totally different if the Internet wasn’t invented. A lot of our technology and lifestyle were created because of the Internet. :)

• Manila Freelancer, June 25, 2008 @ 9:01 PM Reply

I cant imagine the world without internet….

• JP Habaradas, June 21, 2008 @ 9:10 PM Reply

@homebuddy – It helps to be tech or Internet savvy. Yeah, good thing Twitter wasn’t down and its good that the police didn’t confiscate his cellphone so he was able to use it.

• homebuddy, June 21, 2008 @ 9:05 PM Reply

a way to go to get out of jail. Buti nga talaga Twitter was functioning well that time!

homebuddys last blog post..Help for Typhoon Frank’s Calamity Victims

• JP Habaradas, June 21, 2008 @ 5:55 PM Reply

@Web Tools – That’s true. This story is not only about Twitter but the power of blogging. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

• Web tools & Tips, June 21, 2008 @ 5:52 PM Reply

This shows the power of blogging. Individual voices are heard.

Web tools & Tipss last blog post..Orb24 | A decent, if not best "Free File Sharing Program"

• JP Habaradas, June 21, 2008 @ 3:10 AM Reply

@Pinoy Lotto – Yes it is and this is one good example of it. :)

• Pinoy Lotto & Gambling Forum, June 21, 2008 @ 3:06 AM Reply

useful pala ang twitter :grin:

Pinoy Lotto & Gambling Forums last blog post..foot computer sa poker game

• JP Habaradas, June 18, 2008 @ 8:55 AM Reply

@Destination – Yep, his friend was also released about a month later after this story came out.

• Destination Management Services DC, June 18, 2008 @ 8:54 AM Reply

Good for him. I only hope that his friend will be able to be released as well. It is so lame that we have to be scared of places arresting you for no reason. Especially just taking a picture. I like how new technologies like Twitter are able to help people out like that.

• JP Habaradas, June 18, 2008 @ 3:20 AM Reply

@Kevin – This story was on CNN so most likely they know about it. :)

• JP Habaradas, June 18, 2008 @ 2:40 AM Reply

@Hussein – That’s a good idea. Maybe you can make a post about that on your blog? The only problem I see is that many Filipinos are not that tech savvy to use Twitter. Thanks for sharing though! :)

• Kevin Paquet, June 18, 2008 @ 3:17 AM Reply

The twitter team should know this story, really.

Kevin Paquets last blog post..Loneliness

• Hussein, June 18, 2008 @ 2:36 AM Reply

Every Filipino must now introduced to twitter. Kidnapping is very popular nowadays here. :evil:

Husseins last blog post..I Won a Premium Theme From BlogOhBlog!

• JP Habaradas, June 16, 2008 @ 1:05 AM Reply

@Miss Dre – Yeah it is and I wonder what other unique/creative ways Twitter, Plurk or Pownce, etc can be used for. :)

• Miss Dre, June 16, 2008 @ 1:01 AM Reply

Wow, Twitter is quite useful :)

Miss Dres last blog post..Paranoid Much?

• JP Habaradas, June 8, 2008 @ 8:35 AM Reply

@littlelight – I think the time spent is not really the issue but on how kids use it. I guess its okay to spend a lot of time in the Internet as long as they use it to actually learn something educational or something that can help them, including Twitter. :D

• little light, June 8, 2008 @ 8:30 AM Reply

parents who tell their children not to spend too much time online should read this. :grin:

little lights last blog post..Top 10 Emerging Influential Bloggers

• JP Habaradas, June 6, 2008 @ 7:50 AM Reply

@bodydetox – Most certainly is!

• bodydetox, June 6, 2008 @ 7:46 AM Reply

:razz: thats a nice way to get out of jail

• JP Habaradas, June 5, 2008 @ 7:35 PM Reply

@Joni – Twitter picked a good time not to go down coz this story is definitely good publicity for them. :)

• Joni, June 5, 2008 @ 7:31 PM Reply

And good thing the twitter pagination wasn't temporarily disabled. LOL @Ade.

Jonis last blog post..Learning it the Hard Way

• JP Habaradas, June 5, 2008 @ 8:20 AM Reply

@Ade – I know. I wonder what would’ve happened if Twitter was down and he wasn’t able to use it? :???:

• Ade, June 5, 2008 @ 8:18 AM Reply

Good thing Twitter wasn’t down when it happened.

Ades last blog post..BREAKING NEWS: Cat Gets Run Over By A Motorcycle, Turns Into A Woman