Google Adsense New Login Page & Expandable Ads

It seems like Ping-O-Matic is not the only one that got a makeover. While doing one of my usual daily routines – blog hopping, I came across Dexter’s post about Google Adsense’ new login page. Honestly, I don’t login to Adsense that often so I didn’t notice that it had a new login page until I read Dexter’s article.

Here’s how the old login page looks like:
Google Adsense Old Login Page

Here’s how the new login page looks like:
Google Adsense New Login Page

The new login page looks much better and provides a simpler Adsense login page interface.

While reading my RSS feeds, I found out from ProBlogger that aside from the new login page, Google Adsense has also introduced a new type of ad called “expandable ads” and announced it on their blog.

Google Adsense Expandable Ad

We’re excited to introduce to you expandable ads, a new type of ad that can appear on your pages. Expandable ads are rich media ads that can expand beyond the original size of the ad unit, following a user-initiated action. This creates more real estate for the ad, allowing for more interaction from interested users. For instance, expandable ads may stream a movie trailer, show video game clips, or display various views of an item for sale.

Expandable ads will be served as third-party ads and will be created by Google-certified rich media vendors for the top display advertisers in our network. And like other Google ads, you’ll earn based on whether the expandable ads on your site are priced on a cost-per-click (CPC) or cost-per-impression (CPM) basis. Keep in mind that you’ll generate earnings from CPC expandable ads when a user visits the advertiser’s landing page, and not when a user simply clicks to expand the ad.

As of the moment, expandable ads are only currently available to a select number of advertisers in the U.S. who can bid on specific sites where they want their ads to appear. However, all publishers can accept expandable ads regardless of their location. I still have to see an expandable ad in action and I expect to see it anytime soon in either my blog or one of the blogs I regularly visit.

What do you guys think of the new Google Adsense login page? Do you like it or do you prefer the previous one? How about the new expandable ads, what are your thoughts on it?

March 18, 2009 at 10:30 AM

@Raju – Yes, he does have a post talking about the new expandable ads from Adsense but nothing about CPC or how bloggers can benefit from it. You’re right, we’ll have to wait and see. :D

2. Raju

March 18, 2009 at 10:28 AM

@Jaypee
    He does have a post but doesn’t speak much about CPC or anything related. Let’s wait n see!

Rajus last blog post..Download Mozilla Firefox 3.5 Beta 3

March 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM

@Raju – Hehe..me too. I’m not an expert on Adsense or online advertising. I think Darren (Problogger) has or will have a post regarding that issue so you might wanna check his blog. :)

4. Raju

March 13, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I am still waiting for a review explaining what advantages a publisher will have with expandable ads. More CPC?

Rajus last blog post..Put Your Pic on Fake Magazine Covers

March 11, 2009 at 10:40 PM

@Technology Blog – Oh okay. That’s weird though. Could it be that they’ve been logged on to Adsense prior to that and the browser is using the cached old login page?

The expandable ads are available to all publishers but only to select advertisers. Google Adsense made that clear when Darren Rowse (ProBlogger) asked them about it.

6. Technology Blog

March 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

@Jaypee – Yes, When i posted about this topic “new adsense login page” on my blog http://www.techeguide.com/2009.....-page.html , i got a comment there that he was not able to see the new login page. Not only on my blog but also on forums.

One more thing about Expandable Ads – they are only available to the publishers of North America and Europe.

Technology Blogs last blog post..View your Adsense Reports in Euros

March 10, 2009 at 2:40 AM

@Technology Blog – Really? Do you know where these publishers are located? Maybe its not yet available. Anyways, thanks for sharing.

Expandable ads aren’t for all publishers just like how other Adsense ad formats work differently on different blogs. It will fit in with some blogs and won’t on others. :)

8. Technology Blog

March 10, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Many of the publishers comment that they are not able to see the new login page. I also feel that there are some drawbacks of Expandable ads.

Technology Blogs last blog post..View your Adsense Reports in Euros

March 7, 2009 at 3:35 AM

@Dexter – Yeah, its okay for me too and looks more clean and neat than the previous design. You’re welcome! ;)

10. Dexter | Tech A Hand Dot Net

March 7, 2009 at 3:32 AM

The new login page seem to be ok for me. Eventhough the sign in link is too small compared to sign up link..

BTW. Thanks for the link

March 6, 2009 at 5:35 AM

@jong – You have a point about the sign up button not fitting well with the overall design. It kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. Hehe

March 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM

@jan – Looking at it doesn’t make it earn more. LOL instead of staring at those stats, better work on creating better content and other stuff that will make your blog better to attract more readers and generate more traffic. Then your Adsense earnings will start growing. :D

13. jong

March 6, 2009 at 5:32 AM

jaypee,

well i really don’t know. Maybe I’m just used to seeing web2.0ish pages. Oh, and the sign up button doesn’t fit well with the overall design..or not? maybe its just me.. hehe

jongs last blog post..Coolest Meme Ever…

March 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM

@Gem – Me too. If I didn’t come across Dexter’s post, I wouldn’t have noticed until maybe a week later. Yeah, I haven’t seen a live expandable ad. Let me know when you see one and don’t forget to take a screenshot. Hehe :D

15. jan

March 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM

I used to log in to adsense and stare at the stats. But I wise up now and I’m proud to say I’m a recovering adsense watcher.

It’s all the same to me. I don’t have to look to see what’s going on there. Like watching a grass grow. Oh – you mean the new expanding ads? Hahaha. If it’s going to induce more page impressions and ad clicks, I’m all for it. But I’m not looking. I have recovered from that addiction. I’m good. hahaha.

jans last blog post..Get Rid of Your Feeling of Inadequacy as a Writer Once and for All

16. Gem

March 6, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Di ko napansin yung changes. I got into my login account earlier to enter the mailed PIN from Google Adsense hehehe. Probably because I had logged in earlier to Google and the site immediately redirected me to the Reports Overview page.

I have not noticed an actual expandable Google ad in action, so I cannot really judge whether this is a great feature or not. Select publishers lang kasi. From the screenshot above, it looks good. I just hope some bloggers would not overdo it.

Gems last blog post..Are you Twitterpated on Twitter’s Money Makers?

March 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM

@Millionaire – In my experience, the difference between the page load time of both versions aren’t that much noticeable. It might be because of my Internet connection. I guess they changed it because they felt that it needed a new look. :D

18. Millionaire Acts

March 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM

The old adsense log in page loads faster than the new one. I wonder why they needed to change it?

Millionaire Actss last blog post..Credit Card Comparison Tips

March 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM

@lizelement – Yes, that’s exactly how I feel about the new Adsense login page. Btw, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Welcome to JaypeeOnline :D

March 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM

@jong – Really? You think so? What is it about the old login page that you like and makes it better than the new one? I’m just curious. :D

March 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM

@elmot – I only saw it today, after reading the article from TechAtHand. Expandable ads are cool but I don’t think they’re only suitable to certain blog designs/layouts. Btw, I still have to come across one.

22. lizelement

March 5, 2009 at 7:41 PM

the old design is good but i personally like more the new one as i think it is simpler and cleaner.. hehe..

23. jong

March 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

haha the old login page is way better than the new one.

jongs last blog post..Coolest Meme Ever…

24. elmot

March 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM

i like the new login page of adsense. saw it yesterday and i find it more visually appealing than the old version. expandable ads? hmmm, that’s nice, for i find it helpful to a person who wants to know more about the add. and by this, this ad i think invites more the visitor to learn more and visit the landing page of the ad.

elmots last blog post..Erap Joke of the Day!