Sony DCR-DVD 105

UPDATED: 01/06/07

This is my new toy, the Sony DCR-DVD 105. My wife and I got it as a gift from my in-laws.

Most of the reviews that I read for this product were positive and in CNET.com, the average user rating for this product was 7, which is not bad. What ‘s consistent among all the reviews was the great video, audio quality and its 20x optical zoom. The only problems I read about it were transferring the video and editing the video in the PC. The Sony DCR-DVD 105 doesn’t have a Firewire or USB port coz all files are saved into the DVD and customers complain about the software provided which is Nero Express 6.

I Google searched about this and found suggestions on how to transfer and edit the video files but they didn’t provide a clear solution to it. So what I did was make a short recording using the camcorder, finalized the disc and loaded it into my PC. I looked for the VOB file and copied it into the PC and converted it into a WMV file using WinAVI Video Converter. Then I edited the WMV file using Ulead Video Studio 10.

Transferring files to PC:
1. Load finalized disc into CD-ROM
2. Browse disc and search for VOB or JPEG files
3. Copy & paste to any folder in your hard drive
(VOB files can be opened using Cyberlink PowerDVD or any DVD playing program)

Editing video files in your PC:

You’ll need:
1. video converter
2. video editing software

Steps:
1. Load finalized disc into CD-ROM.
2. Browse through the disc and look for the VOB file/s.
3. Using a video converter, convert the VOB file to AVI, MPEG or WMV file.
4. Edit the file (AVI, MPEG or WMV) using the video editing software.

There are video converters and video editing software that you can download for free. All you have to do is do a search in Google. Another option is todownload the trial version of commercial products. If you’re looking for the Picture Perfect software, leave a comment or contact me and I’ll tell you where you could get it.

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Share:

administrator

Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

• Jason, October 14, 2008 @ 2:28 PM Reply

Help help help.

My buddy has just left for Oz for a year and forgot to install the Sony software on his laptop. He’s got the dcr-dvd106 camcorder and I can’t find the software anywhere online. Any suggestions where I might find it?

Thanks in advance.

• Raquel, September 3, 2008 @ 3:38 PM Reply

Hi Jaypee,
    I have this sony dcr-dvd106 camcorder for 2 years now before my child is born and still haven’t been able to burn any of my 8 cm dvd to 12 cm dvd’s. my computer doesn’t have a burner, plus I don’t know how to burn a dvd yet. I would like to buy one. would you mind recommending me any burner to buy. I saw this “SONY-20X external double-layer dvd-rw/cd-rw Drive”, “SONY DVDirect 16x external double layer DVD+R/CD-RW Drive” and SAMSUNG SE-S184. I saw them at amazon with a better price than any other stores. I’m really excited to buy one.

Thank you in advance.

• Jorge, August 12, 2008 @ 5:31 AM Reply

I have a DCR-DVD105, and after i finalized the disc it is recognized on my PC but the Disc has nothing in it. It says UDF system.
    I can view one side of the disc on the Camera but not the other.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Margie, August 11, 2008 @ 4:32 PM Reply

I Have the 105 2 years ago and have been buying the Mini CDs to record my Memories. I’m a Little Scared To Finilize Them. So When I Do That I Have To Get Free Software To Even Burn Or Copy To My Computer. Sorry I’m A Beginer At This I Kind Of Need A Walkthrough Please… I Just Want To Show Friends And Family What I Recorded…. Can Anyone Respond Thank You…

• PerfectYello, March 17, 2008 @ 9:15 AM Reply

Uupps, I made a mistake, I was reading miniDV on the site. I was not converting directly from miniDV, but the mini DVDs that are in my model.

• PerfectYello, March 17, 2008 @ 9:12 AM Reply

Hello Everybody,

I know know how to convert these Sony videos into avi or any other format without a USB cable, directly from the miniDV.

The so called Super video converter “Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer.” will do everything.

It is just simply great. Many thanks go to my friend Brigi who was impatient enough to use the cable and came up with the solution.

• Nikki, February 28, 2008 @ 1:13 PM Reply

Hey – great info here, thanks.

My boss has a 105 and I need to know if you’ve ever found a way to use the AV cables with the camera and maybe a 3rd party product to record directly to a PC? I think the mini-dvds are not very reliable…

N

• SARA, January 4, 2008 @ 9:06 AM Reply

pisstaco108, WHERE DID YOU FIND THE USB CORD FOR THE DVD105 AT? I TRIED THE LINK BUT IT WAS DELETED ON EBAY :razz:

• sonydvd105user, December 10, 2007 @ 1:58 PM Reply

My objective is to edit the video recorded in minidv[Sony DCR-DVD 105] and burn it to a dvd.
    So i transferred the files in the minidv to PC with Nero software. Now, I have a folder Video_TS which has 7 files.
    Video_TS.BUP, Video_TS.IFO, Video_TS.VOB, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_01_1.VOB.

i dont have video converter software but i do have ULead software. I understand from your post that i should convert the file extension from “VOB” to “MPG”. There are 3 .VOB files. which one should i rename and use it for editing? And after editing how do i burn a dvd?
    Do i have to convert the converted file back to VOB?
    Do i have to burn all the 7 files or only the edited file?

Thank you in advance.

• PerfectYello, November 18, 2007 @ 8:47 AM Reply

Hello Jaypee,
    Your blog looks awfully helpful.
    However, I have a DVD201, for which I lost the installation CD and would just like to join Anand Vardhan who reports that the VLC will only play the first few seconds of my mpeg4 video recordings. While that is an advance compared to nothing I wonder whether you may have come across a solution to this problem.
    I am myself attempting a couple of other things and if I do find any results I will come back to you.
    p::y