In the past few years we’ve been using the HP PSC 1410 All-in-One Printer for all our printing needs at home. It’s been a very reliable and useful printer, scanner, and photocopying machine. A few months back, we started to notice some problems with the printer. One was alignment problems – all printed pages were not aligned. The other problem was the printer couldn’t print multiple pages, it would stop printing after the first page and would display a printing error message. The alignment problem was easy to fix with the help of the built-in troubleshooting features but it wasn’t true for the other problem. I tried all the possible solutions, searched the Internet for a possible fix but couldn’t find any.
We finally gave up and decided to get a new printer. As usual, I first searched the web for the best deals and prices. Found one from Amazon.com – the Canon PIXMA MX340 all-in-one inkjet printer. It was on sale for $79.99 and eligible for Prime Shipping. But since we needed it right away, we opted to get it from BestBuy who had it on sale for the same price. Paid for it online and chose in-store pickup (a better and cheaper option than buying it online and paying extra for shipping) and picked it up later that day.
- Product Height: 7.8″
- Product Width: 16.4″
- Product Weight: 19 lbs.
- Product Depth: 18.1″
- Print Speed (B&W): Up to 8.4 ipm
- Print Speed (Color): Up to 4.8 ipm
- Print Speed (Photo): 4″ x 6″ photo in as little as 43 sec
- Black Printer Resolution: Up to 600 x 600 dpi
- Color Printer Resolution: Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi
- Media Types: Plain: Plain paper, high resolution paper; Super High Gloss: Photo paper pro platinum, Photo paper pro II; Glossy: Photo paper plus glossy II, Photo paper glossy; Semi-Gloss: Photo paper plus semi-gloss; Matte: Matte photo paper; Envelope: U.S. #10 envelope
- Media Sizes: Letter, legal, envelopes (U.S. #10); 4″ x 6″, 4″ x 8″, 5″ x 7″ and 8″ x 10″ paper
- Input Paper Capacity: Up to 100 sheets
- Type of Interface: USB
- Total Ink Tanks/Cartridge: 1 PG-210 black ink cartridge, 1 CL-211 color cartridge
- Drop Size: 2 and 5 picoliters
- Print Quality: For photos and documents
- PC-Free Printing: Yes
- Paper Feeder: Built-in
- Networking Capabilities: Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 b/g), USB 2.0 Hi-speed, Bluetooth v2.0, PictBridge
- Scanner Resolution (dpi): 1200 x 2400 dpi (optical) 19,200 x 19,200 dpi (interpolated) and ADF: 600 x 600 dpi (optical)
- Bit Depth: 48-bit internal / 24-bit external
- Scanner Type: Flatbed
- Copier Speed (Color): Up to 3.4 cpm
- Multiple Copies: Up to 99
- Reduction/ Enlargement: 25-400%
- Automatic Document Feeder: Yes
- Fax Transmission Speed: Approx. 3 sec./page at 33.6 Kbps
- Fax Memory: Up to 50 pages
- Fax Type: Black-and-white and color
- Document Feed Type and Capacity: Automatic; 30 pages
- Minimum System Requirements: Windows 2000, XP ,Vista or 7; Mac OS v10.4.11 ? v10.6.x
- Wireless Networking: Yes
The Canon PIXMA MX340 is pretty much the same as the previous one we had except for the wireless printing capabilities. So far it has performed very well – printing, scanning, and photocopying documents and stuff. We usually print our photos in Costco so we haven’t tried printing photos from this printer. I also haven’t set up the printer to do printing via WiFi. But I plan to do as soon as I find the time and will update this post as soon as I’ve tried that particular feature. Overall, I can say that the Canon PIXMA MX340 is a very good choice for an affordable and reliable all-in-one wireless printer. If you don’t need the wireless printing/networking feature, you can get the Canon PIXMA MX330 for about $20 less.
Anyone else own a Canon PIXMA MX340 or any PIXMA MX series printer? What has been your experience using it? What are the things you like or dislike the printer? Please share your thoughts.
[image source: Canon.com]
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn commissions at no additional cost to you. We are reader-supported so when you buy through the affiliate links, you are also helping or supporting us.