Last year, I wasn’t able to participate in Blog Action Day. This year I plan to do so and as part of that commitment, I’m gonna start by blogging about it to help spread the word and promote Blog Action Day. I’m also hoping that you guys (regular readers/visitors), would also join this benevolent worldwide blogging event on October 15th.
For those of you who haven’t heard or aren’t familiar with what Blog Action Day is about, here’s a little information from the official website followed by a promo video created by the organizers.
Blog Action Day is an annual event that unites the world’s bloggers in posting about the same issue on the same day on their own blogs with the aim of sparking discussion around an issue of global importance. Blog Action Day 2009 will be the largest-ever social change event on the web. One day. One issue. Thousands of voices.
This year’s topic for Blog Action Day is “Climate Change“. Why?
Climate change affects us all and it threatens more than the environment. It threatens to cause famine, flooding, war, and millions of refugees.
Given the urgency of the issue of climate change and the upcoming international climate negotiations in Copenhagen this December, we think the blogosphere has the unique opportunity to mobilize millions of people around expressing support for finding a sustainable solution to the climate crisis.
If you’re thinking that you can’t join because your blog is not related to this year’s Blog Action Day topic, you can still participate. Here are some suggestions on how you can do it:
- A Technology or Business blog might write about emerging clean tech and how innovative companies might be able to help address the problem of climate change.
- A Health or Lifestyle blog might write about how climate change will affect our children’s health and daily living.
- A Nonprofit or Political blog might write about how climate change is deeply connected to many other issues – such as poverty and conflict.
- A Design blog might write about new trends in eco-friendly or sustainable design.
- A Travel blog might write about the places you want to see now before climate change makes them difficult to access or, well, under the sea.
If you still think you can’t participate but would like to help in spreading the word, you can grab some Blog Action Day badges and put them on your blog or website.
For more information or if you want to participate and register your blog, visit the Blog Action Day official website. Btw, you can also follow the official Twitter account of Blog Action Day – @blogactionday.
I strongly encourage everyone, especially bloggers to join and participate in Blog Action Day. I believe that as bloggers our responsibility is not only limited to publishing reliable content and presenting facts from reputable sources but also to do good for others, especially for our environment even for just one day.
Are you joining this year’s Blog Action Day? What do you think about this year’s topic – Climate Change?