UPDATE: I found out how to fix the issue. What you need to do is manually delete Ping-O-Matic’s cookies from your web browser and then reload the page. The thing about this it is that you’ll have to do it everytime you want to ping your blog. It sucks, but it works.

I use several websites or online services to ping my blog and one of them is Ping-O-matic. For those of you who might not be familiar with what a blog ping is, here’s a little info from Wikipedia:

In blogging, ping is an XML-RPC-based push mechanism by which a weblog notifies a server that its content has been updated.[1] An XML-RPC signal is sent to one or more “ping servers,” which can then generate a list of blogs that have new material. Many blog authoring tools automatically ping one or more servers each time the blogger creates a new post or updates an old one.

By using online ping services like Ping-O-matic, you notify different online services that keep track of weblogs that your blog’s content has been updated. Once notified, these services crawl and index your site and later on publish your blog content which increases your blog’s popularity.

Anyways, talking about Pingomatic, the site recently received a makeover or redesign as you can see from the screenshots below.

Previous Ping-O-Matic design

New Ping-O-Matic design

The new look is definitely better than the old one and even the new logo looks really nice.

However, since Ping-O-Matic got its new design, I’ve been having problems accessing it with Firefox (both Windows and Ubuntu). Some parts of the page mysteriously don’t show up. (See screenshot below)


Firefox + IE Tab

I’ve tried opening Ping-O-Matic using Internet Explorer 7, Google Chrome, Opera and Safari 4 and had no problems whatsoever as they render the page well. I also tried accessing Ping-O-Matic with Internet Explorer on Firefox using the IE Tab plugin and I experience the same issue. So the problem is really with Firefox. I’m running the latest version – Firefox 3.0.6 and I have no clue as to what causes the problem. I don’t know if its a conflict with one of the plugins/extensions I’m using. The thing is, I’m also experiencing the same problem with Firefox on Ubuntu which only has a few extensions installed on it. I still have to figure out what’s causing this and how I could fix it.

Anyone else experiencing this issue when accessing Ping-O-Matic with Firefox? Any ideas what could cause this problem? If you know the solution please share it with us. Thanks!

JaypeeOnline is supported by its audience. When you click on the advertisements or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more



Owner and editor of JaypeeOnline. Self-proclaimed geek. New media writer and consultant. WordPress advocate. Loves blogging, gadgets, video games and sports. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.


  • fleet1ng, April 4, 2010 @ 8:14 PM Reply

    The problem seems to be intermittent. I just wrote an article about this yesterday, http://www.noone-special.com/2010/04/pinging-pingomatic-com/, and now the problem seems to be fixed.

    Clearing the browser cache and cookies is definitely a drawback for something simple to achieve.

    I hope pingomatic stays fixed now for good.

  • melardenio, March 7, 2010 @ 6:07 AM Reply

    done pinging directories..this one is much better. nice post…

  • JP Habaradas, September 24, 2009 @ 9:25 AM Reply

    @Matt G – You’re welcome! Glad I could help you out. ;)

  • Matt G, September 24, 2009 @ 9:23 AM Reply

    @jaypee Cheers dude. Will check it out. I’ve got the ping on twitter which is cool.
    Thanks for the help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.