It’s been a while since I last did a blog update post. It’s not that I haven’t had any updates to post but I just didn’t have time to do it especiallly during the two month hiatus. Aside from the recent theme reboot, I’ve also updated, uninstalled and installed plugins.
- Who Sees Ads? – I had to disable/uninstall the Who Sees Ads? plugin because it suddenly caused a fatal error the other day. It brought the site down and even prevented me from accessing the WP dashboard.
At first, I thought that maybe Dreamhost was upgrading or fixing something so I sent them a ticket. When the support person replied I found out that the problem was caused by the Who Sees Ads? plugin and that it was eating up more than the allocated memory in my server. What I did was I deleted the plugin folder via FTP and it fixed the problem.
I’ve contacted the author and discussed the issue with him. I’ll try to use the plugin again one of these days and see if the error pops up again.
- WP 2.3 Related Posts – I used this plugin because it came by default with the current theme I’m using. However I noticed that it didn’t display related posts on some of my posts so I decided to switch back to the previous plugin I used – Related Entries.
- Brian’s Latest Comments – Used this plugin in my previous theme to display recent comments on the sidebar. Now with my new theme, I no longer need a plugin to display the recent comments.
- New Tag Cloud – Also had this come by default with my theme. This plugin adds a widget that you can use to display tags. I uninstalled it because I didn’t need it and I don’t use widgets on my blog.
- WP Ban – Installed and used this plugin only a few hours because I had to ban a certain IP from accessing my blog. I’ve deactivated it but I’m keeping this plugin around, just in case.
- WP Tag Manager – Useful plugin if you want to manage/edit your tags or delete a specific tag. No need to go through each individual post to edit or delete your tags. You can view and edit/delete all your tags on one page.
- Multi Column Link List – Recommended by one of my regular readers FruityOaty, it’s what I’m currently using for my links page. I switched to this plugin because the one I was previously using – IMP Links, doesn’t work with WP 2.3+ and the author has abandoned the plugin. Too bad, because I really liked that plugin.
- Flash Tag Cloud – Came by default with my new theme and I liked it so I decided to keep it. It’s the plugin that displays the “tags” on the left sidebar.
- CommentLuv – I tried installing this plugin in my previous theme and couldn’t get it to work. I’m glad that it works with my new theme. It’s another way of encouraging your readers to leave comments.
I’m not sure but I think I missed one or two plugins that I’ve uninstalled. I already deleted them from the plugins folder so I have no way of checking. Hehe I’ll update this post if I get to remember something that I missed. Anyways, that’s most of the changes that I’ve done to this blog aside from the minor tweaks on the code.
[image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clement127/]