I was updating my iPhone apps during the weekend and found out that a new version of the WordPress for iOS app was released. WordPress for iOS version 3.0 adds some new exciting features and changes to the system that allows faster upgrades in the future.
- Push Notifications for WordPress.com – WordPress.com users can now receive push notifications for new comments so they can moderate comments on the go.
- Swipe-to-moderate Toolbar – Comments can now be moderated using the moderation toolbar, users don’t have to use bulk moderation or go to the comment permalink. To access the moderation toolbar, just swipe over any comment. Another change is the highlighting of new comments.
- Vastly Improved Performance – More than 44 bugs and crashes fixed.
- Translations added for Chinese (Taiwan), Hungarian, and Polish.
Upcoming Features and Updates:
Here are some of the features and updates that will be included in the next release, version 3.1 which is scheduled to be released at the end of June.
- Sliding Panels for iPad allows faster management and easier access to all app features (posts, pages, comments, stats, settings, etc.)
- A slide-out iPhone/iPod Touch Menu allows for quicker access to all app features.
- Post Formats will be added to the post editor so users can easily change the appearance of published posts.
- A better Welcome screen to help users get started quickly using the app and to learn more of what they can do with it.
- More iPad stats and full usage of the screen space.
Below are some of the features and updates that are being considered for upcoming versions of WordPress for iOS:
- Image settings in post editor to set Title, Description, Alignment, Size, and more.
- Simple visual editor for text formatting options.
- Support for Galleries.
- Improved post/page Preview.
- Simpler access to Save Draft and other publishing settings.
- Quick Photo with “advanced” fields such as tags, categories.
- Push notifications for self-hosted blogs through Jetpack.
- Support for setting Featured Images.
WordPress for iOS 3.0 is now available on iTunes or via the App Store.