WordPress 3.4 “Green” was released about a week ago, right about the time that I got sick so I was only able to check it out a couple days ago and upgrade my installation yesterday. It’s all good though because I usually wait a week or two before upgrading my WordPress installation if the latest release isn’t a security release so I had enough time to wait and see if there were any bugs or problems with this version before I installed it.
Here’s a short video highlighting the new features/improvements on WordPress 3.4 “Green”
WordPress 3.4 “Green” Highlights
- Enhanced theme control
- Customize theme options before activating a new theme using Theme Customizer
- Use Theme Previewer to customize current theme without changing the front-end design
- Custom Headers
- Improved Custom Headers with flexible sizes
- Selecting Custom Header Images & Custom Background Images from Media Library Screen
- Media improvements
- Support HTML in image captions
- Under the Hood improvements
- Improvements in WordPress internationalization and localization
- Different split in translation POT files for faster translations
- Codex XML-RPC information update accessed via XML-RPC_WordPress_API
- WP_Query improvements
The upgrade to WordPress 3.4 went smoothly and I didn’t encounter any problems or conflicts with my existing plugins. I did encounter a minor problem during the upgrade but it wasn’t related to WordPress but rather a problem with FireFTP (FTP plugin/addon for Firefox) which was solved by switching to FileZilla.
Since I use an “old” theme and have only installed WordPress 3.4 yesterday, I still haven’t gotten the chance to try out most of the new features like the Live Preview and Theme Customizer. Anybody else who has upgraded and/or installed WordPress 3.4? What new features or improvements do you like best?