Basic Image Editing in WordPress 2.9

WordPress 2.9 Basic Image Editing Tools

Do you know that the next version of WordPress (version 2.9) will have basic image editing tools? I didn’t. I just found out about it yesterday from WordPress Tavern. WordPress did a survey early this year and asked users what features they’d want to see in the next version of WordPress. The results were posted last July and among the top 3 features was basic image editing. I remember participating in that survey and I’m sure that I voted for basic image editing to be included in that list but totally forgot about it.

Anyways, Jeff Chandler of WordPress Tavern found out about the addition of basic image editing tools into WordPress 2.9 after installing and trying out the latest nightly build on his local server. Here’s a video of Jeff demonstrating the basic image editing tools, check it out.

Screenshot:
WordPress Edit Media

So what do you think? Personally, I think it’s an awesome addition to the WordPress core. I’m sure a lot of users are gonna be happy about this new feature and will surely find it useful. Now, you don’t need to have or install an image editing software on your computer and you can edit your post images on any computer as long as you have Internet access. All you need to do is login to your WordPress dashboard, upload the image, edit it and then you’re good to go.

Thanks to Jeff Chandler for sharing this video with us and for showing us the basic image editing tools in action on WordPress 2.9!

What do you guys think about the addition of basic image editing tools to WordPress 2.9? Is it something you’ve been wanting to have in earlier versions of WordPress or were you hoping for a different feature? Please share your thoughts.

September 21, 2009 at 5:10 AM

@Michael – The basic image editing tools will be a built-in feature in WordPress 2.9.

2. Michael

September 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM

is this an update? or is this going to be installed?

September 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM

@jr – I don’t think it will because it will be part of the core so it will work well with the whole system. It sure looks awesome. :D

If you want, you can try it out yourself. Just download the latest 2.9 nightly build from WordPress.org and install it on your local server. :)

4. jr

September 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM

that’s cool and all, but i hope it doesnt bloat wordpress too much. other than that, it looks awesome!

September 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM

@Sanjeev – It definitely will be and certainly useful to a lot of users. :)

6. Sanjeev

September 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM

This is really going to be a nice feature in WordPress 2.9 because now a days bloggers are more concerned about good images on their blogs. Waiting for 2.9 to get released, but before that there will be a WordPress 2.8.5 security updates.

September 19, 2009 at 6:10 AM

@Jhay – True. With this feature, not only are they catering to the needs of the current users but like what you said, WordPress is now becoming more of a full-pledged CMS which will attract new users.

8. Jhay

September 19, 2009 at 6:08 AM

It’s a nice new feature. With this new addition, WP is becoming more and more of a full-pledged CMS rather than a blogging software.

September 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM

@K – Yeah, it’s coming soon but there’s no definite date yet. We might even see a version 2.8.5 first before 2.9 gets released. Actually, the basic image editing tools will be more useful for ordinary WP users because it means they don’t have to install or deal with 3rd party image editing software. They can edit their post images right in their WP dashboard.

Btw, what are those errors that you’re getting on your WordPress install? Let me know so I can take a look and we might be able to fix it. ;)

10. K.noizki

September 18, 2009 at 8:51 AM

What 2.9 is coming? For reals? This isn’t for the intellectually challenged like myself, hahaha. Please, I still get errors on my wp.2.8.4 that I can’t get even fixed!

Looks good tho.

September 18, 2009 at 8:45 AM

@aldrin – Yeah, I was hoping they’d do that too because the Lightbox plugin has some issues on my theme that’s why I can’t use it right now.

12. a.cantos

September 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM

nice one. i think it’s also nice if they can embed lightbox on the next version. so I don’t have to install the plugin. it conflicts with other plugins i use.