This edition of the Weekend Roundup is a bit early or just right on time for those of you who have a different timezone. This time, I made sure that I prepared it early because the whole day Sunday is gonna be a very busy day for me. We’ll be having my son’s birthday party tomorrow so we’ll be busy preparing stuff, entertaining guests, taking care of the food, etc. The party will last about a couple of hours and the rest of the day would be spent cleaning up, unwrapping gifts, etc and of course family time.
Anyways, here’s this weeks edition of the Weekend Roundup. Hope you guys like it!
- Jeff Chandler writes about a new WordPress plugin that takes WordPress widgets to another level. This plugin is called the Widget Context developed by Kaspars Dambis. via BloggingTips.
- If your blogs posts are mostly links to other sites and you would like your readers to be brought directly to the source site, this helpful tip will let you change a post’s RSS permalink using custom fields. via WPCandy
- If you’re experiencing write errors with your Google Sitemaps WordPress plugin after upgrading to WordPress 2.7, QuickOnlineTips has a short tutorial on how to fix it.
- Having a hard time looking for a nice new theme for your WordPress blog? Kyle Eslick of HackWordPress has compiled 150+ well designed Free and Premium WordPress themes.
- WIRED has a list of the Top 10 Technology Breakthroughs of 2008. Among the list are USB 3.0, Google Android and the memory transistor or memristor.
- In this age of technology, one of the most important resources is information. Countries like the US do their best to protect their information from attacks. What do they do to prepare for such type of info attacks? Cyberwargames!.
- Farewell VHS! After three decades of existence, the VHS tape era is winding down. Distribution Video Audio Inc, the last major supplier of VHS tapes rolled out the final truckload last week. Any remaining units in the warehouse would either be given away or thrown away.
- Do you want to know where the largest share of the world’s malware is coming from? According to Sophos, the Top 10 malware-hosting countries are: Thailand, Czech Republic, Turkey, United Kingdom, Ukraine, South Korea, Germany, Russia, China and the US at the top spot.
- Are you a fan of the Nintendo 64 game console? Check out this cool portable N64 called the Nintendo Sixtyfree Lite-R created by modder SifuF. Features include dual 3D sticks, D-Pad, L button, headphone socket and expansion pack! via Engadget
- If you’re an Apple fanboy or you like reading Tech related news the past week, I’m sure you’ve read or heard about the rumored iPhone Nano. In Thailand, you’ll see a lot of these iPhone Nanos for sale. Unfortunately, all of these are fake.
- The Nintendo Wii game console is the most popular gaming console right now and I’m sure its gonna be more popular with these new features. Wii owners in Japan will soon be able to order food and watch videos via the game console.
- What if you create a phone that looks like HTC, sounds like RIM, smells like Microsoft and tastes like Google? You’ll end up with China’s HKC Pearl. A dual-OS phone that can run on Windows Mobile or Android.
- If you’re new or just visiting Manila and are looking to buy a new mobile phone with bargain prices, Melo has a list of places where to buy mobile phones in Manila.
- In case you don’t know, Google now includes thumbnails for WordPress blogs in its search results. However, Google still needs to do some work on it because it still has a lot of bugs like associating different names/photos to some bloggers. Mike Abundo, shares how Google thinks he’s someone else.
- Brother Ambo of PinoyAmbisyoso is giving away a domain name for one year to one lucky voter. If you’re interested, head on over to his blog for further details.
- Looking for another way to track and follow your favorite blogs without having to subscribe to the RSS feed or newsletter? Jhay recommends Trackthis by Yotify. Trackthis sends links instead of full blog posts via email. You can also filter the content using tags or keywords.
JaypeeOnline Weekly Recap
- Griffin Technology iTrip Auto FM Transmitter – a good FM transmitter for your iPod.
- WordPress Schwag – got some cool WordPress pencils, stickers and pins last week.
For those of you who aren’t aware or haven’t heard of my Christmas Giveaway, I’m giving away $1,000+ worth of prizes (premium WordPress themes and plugins). You still have 2 more days to join and submit your entries before the deadline on Dec 30th.
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or want your article to be featured in the next Weekend Roundup, feel free to leave a comment or send me a message via the contact page.
Thank you for your time and hope you guys have a great week!