While browsing the Internet the other day, I came across this infographic from BuzzFeed entitled – Sitting Down WILL Kill You. So what does it have to do with technology, blogging, computers and other stuff I usually blog about here on JaypeeOnline?
Since the advent of the desk job, TV, computers and the Internet, we humans have been spending more time sitting down than we’re supposed to – an average of 9.3 hours per day. This infographic contains not only informative but also alarming data regarding the health risks/dangers of spending too much time sitting down.
Some interesting data from the infographic:
- Sitting 6+ hours per day makes you up to 40% likelier to die within 15 years than someone who sites less than 3. Even if you exercise.
- People with sitting jobs have twice the rate of cardiovascular disease as people with standing jobs.
- Sitting for 8 hours a day at work is unavoidable. It’s the extra sitting outside of work that turns this serious problem deadly.
- The recommended 30 minutes of activity per day is not enough. Interrupt sitting whenever you can by streching, walking/marching in place or doing jumping jacks.
- Sitting at a 135 degree angle puts less strain on your back than hunching forward or sitting straight.
- The human body isn’t built to sit for long periods of time.
Here’s the complete Sitting Down WILL Kill You infographic:
I’m sharing this infographic not only for other people but it also serves as a reminder to myself because sometimes I tend to spend several hours sitting down working without taking any breaks or taking time to strech, walk, etc. We need our jobs but our health is more important so we need to make sure that we take care of it. If our job involves a lot of sitting down, then we need to follow the tips provided in the infograph and make sure to implement it.
What do you think of the Sitting Down WILL Kill You infographic? Does your job require you to sit several hours a day? How many hours per day do you spend sitting down at work and outside work?