A Bad Round of Golf
I’m taking another break from regular blogging to share about something that recently happened in the Philippines. This incident happened the day after Christmas at the Valley Golf and Country Club in Antipolo City and involves Mayor Nasser Pangandaman, Jr. of Masui City, Lanao Del Sur, his bodyguards and his father Nasser Pangandaman Sr., who happens to be the Department of Agrarian Reform Secretary in the Philippines.
I first read about this when a friend posted about it on Plurk. I then followed the link and read the story from the blog of Bambee Dela Paz, daughter and sister of the persons who got mauled by Mayor Nasser Pangandaman, Jr and his bodyguards. The following are excerpts from her blog post.
At around 1:30 PM today, at Valley Golf and Country Club, Antipolo City, Mayor Nasser Pangandaman, Jr., Mayor of Masiu City, Lanao del Sur, his father, Secretary Nasser Pangandaman of the Department of Agrarian Reform, and company, beat my defenseless 56-year-old dad and my 14-year-old brother to a pulp because of some stupid misunderstanding on the golf course.
My brother and I were playing golf at the South Course of Valley. We were on the 3rd hole, and we see two golf carts going past us, overtaking our flight, and setting up to tee off on the next hole. My dad goes up to them and asks them why they would do that, why they would overtake us without even asking for our permission…So we complained to the marshall. We play the 5th hole and walk towards the next hole, where there is a teehouse, and both the flights in front of us were there, talking with the marshall. The mayor of Masiu City, Lanao del Sur talks with my dad. Things get heated up. Voices were raised…He attacks my father. His flightmates, maybe 2 or 3 of them, rush to his aid and beat up my father. My 56-year-old father. My younger brother and I could not just watch. We rushed to break the fight. My younger brother pleads to the mayor to please stop it. To not hurt my dad. To just stop. His words still ring through my head…”Sorry na po, sorry na po…tama na…tama na po…” With his hands in front of his chest in a praying position. PLEADING. The mayor socks him in the face. My brother defended himself. My dad is still on the ground getting clobbered. My brother is the same way. I try to stop the fight, but all I can do is stop one person. There were 4 or 5 of them attacking now.
Someone breaks up the fight. I thought it was all over. The mayor shouts to his caddy: “Hindi nila kami kilala! Sabihin mo nga sa kanila kung sino ako!” And believe me, I had no idea who this person was. But now I know. He’s the person who, with 4 other men, beat up my 56-year-old father and my 14-year-old brother.
We leave. We walk to the clubhouse to file a complaint. My brother asks for a doctor. My dad could barely walk. Their group comes to the clubhouse, sees my brother. Once again my brother pleads, says sorry, and is crying. He was CRYING, for crissakes. But no. The relentless mayor still punches him in the face, and then sees my dad and goes after my dad again. Him and his friend pull my dad to the ground, pulls at his feet, and steps on him like he’s dirt. I run to him and try to hold him back, holding him back by his shirt, while this other guy and this girl tries to stop me. She tells me to just stop it. I scream in her face “they’re beating my father up and you want me to stop?!” I pull at his shirt–I don’t let go. All I can see was my dad being trampled on. I didn’t even see my brother getting beat up.
To read Bambee’s full blog post, visit this link: The World Has Gone Crazy.
Like what Ade said, the world has always been crazy. This is not the first time I’ve heard about government officials or “public servants” who abuse their authority and trample on the rights of the citizens especially in the Philippines. Fortunately, no one was killed in this incident. In some cases, the victims get killed or just simply disappear. However, this incident is still a horrific and traumatic experience for the Dela Paz family. What makes this scary is that the Mayor and his bodyguards who were involved in this incident, weren’t in their constituency. imagine what they could’ve done if this would’ve happened in Masui City? I’m pretty sure it would’ve been uglier.
According to news reports, the Pangandaman’s are denying they started the fight and are planning to file counter charges of physical injuries and grave threats against the elder Dela Paz. The DAR Secretary is also consulting his lawyer about the possibility of filing a libel case against Dela Paz.
I hope witnesses would come forward and tell the truth. I hope that there will be no cover-up, no “palakasan”. no “kumpadre system” involved. I hope that the Dela Paz family gets justice and if the mayor and his cohorts are found guilty I hope they get punished for their deeds. Not only to teach them a lesson but also to remind other governemnt officials, that they are “public servants”, elected to serve the people and not to use and abuse their authority for their own interests.
Here’s a couple of videos of news reports regarding incident:
Related Blog Entries
- The World has Gone Crazy by Bambee de la Paz
- Updates and Thank Yous by Bambee de la Paz
- Repost of Bambee’s post at Filipino Voices
- Impunity and Golf By Caffeine Sparks
- DAR chief Pangandaman’s son, Mayor Nasser Pangandaman Jr. in Mauling Golfers in Antipolo by Noemi Dado
- Golf, Guns, & Goons : Philippine Golf Horror Story by Joel Chua
- Politicians Beat Up Defenseless Dad, 56, and Son, 14, Over Golf by Shari
- Mayor of Lanao Del Sur Mauls Father and Son by Village Idiot Savant
- DAR Secretary Nasser Pangandaman and Son maul 56-year-old Golfer and 14-year old Kid by Neil Es2pido
- Irony to a Tee by Marck
- Mayor Beats Up 56 Year Old Man and 14 Year Old Boy by BA Racoma
- DAR Chief and Mayor of Masiu City Maul Helpless Dad and 14 yr old Son by Jepoy Bengero
- Politicians are the WORST. Stay away from them by Jen
- Entitlement by Ia Lucero
- A Dampener on the Season by Jonas Diego
- These Bastards Have To Pay by Gerry Alanguilan
- Mayor Nasser Pangandaman Jr. (son of DAR Chief) in Mauling Golfers in Antipolo by Dine Racoma
- Crazy Politicians! by Lalaine
- When A Family Golf Game Turns Ugly by Dementia
- He Who Had Too Much Sense of Entitlement by Tess Termulo
- Mayor, You’ve Been A Bad Boy! by Mark Bravo
- Nasser Pangandaman Jr., mayor of Masiu, Lanao Del Sur: Golf Attack by Reyna Elena
- You’re Not Getting Away With This. byMarcelle
- Of Thuggery and Courtesy Resignations by Ding G. Gagelonia
- Politicians Maul Father & Son Over Golf by Regnard Raquedan
- Philippine Mayor Beats Up Helpless Old Man Over Golf by Flisha
- Asshole Politicians Beat Up Father and Son Over Golf by Mad Cow Blues
- Potpourri II: The widening gyre by Ephemere
- Mayor Pangandaman Beats Up 56 year old man and his 14 year old son by Karla Redor
- Philippine Mayor Beats Up Helpless Old Man Over Golf by Flisha
- We haven’t really gone anywhere by Alex Maximo
- Masui Mayor beats up 56-yr-old man and 14-yr-old boy – another reason to oppose term extensions, no elections and Cha-Cha by Jhay Rocas
- The “DVD” Side Of Philippine Politics by Feisty Momma
- The Golf Incident: The Trouble with Mirrors by Juned
- Ang Kapangahasan ng isang Pulitiko ngayong Kapaskuhan by Fjordan Allego
- Mayor and Bodyguards beat up 56 year-old man and 14 year old boy over GOLF by the_bumper_car
- Golfing with the Pangandaman…can hurt…(Repost of Bambee’s post) by lyn
- Bully Foolitician Nasser Pangandaman Jr. by Pedestrian Observer
- A Mindanaoan’s point of view on The Valley Golf Antipolo Controversy by Yolynne
- PANGANDAMNYOU: will GMA force Sec. Nasser Pangandaman to RESIGN? by Spanky
- Mayor Nasser Pangandaman Jr. mauls golfers while father/Cabinet secretary just looks on by Tonyo Cruz
- Philippines: Uproar over mauling by mayor/son of Cabinet secretary by Global Voices
- Do Not Underestimate a Blogger: Bloggers Buzz Against the Injustice of a Mayor Nasser Pangandaman Jr. by cmaotaku
- Impunity by Manuel Quezon III
- Piyudal by Alex Maximo
- Reports on DAR’s cheif son, Mayor Nasser Pangandaman’s Assult on Father & Son at Valley Golf & Country Club Antipolo by Brian Ong
- Blogs on Pangandaman by 1o95
- Mayor beats up 56-year-old man and 14-year-old boy… SHAME ON HIM. by cheesychuckie
- Of Golf, the Internet and Elites by Butch Dado
- Nasser Pangandaman Jr.: The Warlord of Masiu by Carlos Conde
- Pangandaman and son display bad behavior by Arpee Lazaro
- I really hate people in power by Jovi
- The Pangandaman family – Valley Golf incident in Quatar Lving
- Politicians, kings of the world??? by Blogbastic
- Support our Fellow Blogger Bambee dela Paz! by The Left Click
- On arrogance: This world *is* crazy, Bambee. We just have to fight the craziness the best we can and hope that we kick it’s ass. by Marcus
- Public servant power by Mon Casiple
- How NOT To Play ‘Spin Doctor’ on Blogs [The Pangandaman Golf-Mauling Incident] by Jozzua
- Arrogance on Naked Display by The Unlawyer
- Mayor Nasser Pangandaman, Jr. GOOFBall Bully of Philippine Golf by The Pedestrian Observer
- Arroyo’s peace adviser merely watched his son’s mauling spree by Ellen Tordesillas
- DAR chief apologizes for son’s involvement in Antipolo brawl by Mindanao Pilgrim
- Compilation of articles on FilipinoLinks
If you also blogged about this and would want to have your post included in the list, just leave a comment with the post URL.
[ image by Joel Chua ]