Yahoo! Mail Now Supports 100 MB Attachments

Yahoo! Mail Drop.io

Webmail or web e-mail services are very popular amongst users because they are easily accessible and free to use. The top players in today’s webmail market are Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Windows Live Hotmail and AOL. Gmail revolutionized webmail when it was publicly released in 2007 and offered 1 GB of storage capacity when its competitors at that time only provide 2-4 MB. Since then, these webmail providers have been constantly coming up with new features to try to keep or increase its share of the market.

One of the problems with using webmail is that users are limited to sending 10-20 MB attachments. To address that issue, Gmail recently upped its file attachment size maximum to 25 MB.

Just a few days ago, Yahoo! Mail came up with its answer. With the integration of Drop.io service, Yahoo! Mail users can now send e-mail attachments of up to 100 MB.

If you have a Yahoo! Mail account and would want to try it out, first you need to login to your account then check the left sidebar and see if you have Applications. If you don’t, you’ll have to visit the Yahoo! Mail Apps page to enable it. After you enable it, you should see it on the sidebar.

Yahoo! Mail Apps

Click on Attach Large Files.
Yahoo! Mail Attach Large Files

Since you’ll be using it for the first time, it will ask you if you want to allow the app to have access to your Yahoo! Mail account and info. Click on Allow and it will open up a new tab entitled Attach Large Files.

Yahoo! Mail Drop.io

To start using the Drop.io app/service, click on Get Started Now.
Yahoo! Mail Drop.io

To start send or attach a file, click on Select Files, browse and select any file/s from your computer.
Yahoo! Mail Drop.io

After you select a file/s, you can proceed on uploading the files and sending your email.

Although I use Gmail as my primary email account, I still keep a Yahoo! Mail account for other stuff so this new feature is a welcome addition and I’m sure a lot of Yahoo! Mail users would be pleased with this. I won’t be surprised if Gmail would increase its file attachment size limit soon. Aside from the Drop.io service, there are other useful apps available like Flickr and PayPal which I haven’t tried yet.

Anyone else tried these new Yahoo! Mail feature? What apps are you using or have tried on Yahoo! Mail? What other apps or services would you like to see added on Gmail, Yahoo! Mail or other webmail?

1. Adnan

April 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM

when i click on upload, it says
    “Unable to upload to YouSendIt.

API Fault: [RPC Fault faultString=”HTTP request error” faultCode=”Server.Error.Request” faultDetail=”Error: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032"]. URL: https://developer-api.yousendit.com/v2/item/send“]”

please help :(

2. faiyaz

March 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

excellent work by yahoo!!!! thankx!!!!!!!!!

3. Neha

November 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Thanks man!! It was really difficult for me to send sooo many files in separate mails…every time it said 25 MB attachment..i got cracked up!!!! Thanks again dude.

4. Abdul Jabbar

June 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM

100mb file attachments option by yahoo is a good job

thanks

5. shailesh

June 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM

how can i add Drop.io application. i tried it, but cant… it shows try after some time….

6. christian

December 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM

this is really a great news but hopefully, they’ll also speed up the uploading process.

7. Fred

October 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM

this is a great news for all yahoo mail users. this is another way of having P2P sharing of big files. thanks to yahoo…

September 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM

@Sanjeev – Yeah, they’re slowly but surely making very good improvements to their products and that’s not only a good thing for them but also for the users. Yup, looking forward to newer products/features that they’ll offer in the coming days. I’m also curious as to what Google has in store for their own products. :D

9. Sanjeev

September 24, 2009 at 9:15 AM

100 MB of email attachment is a good offer from yahoo. Now yahoo has started changing all the things starting from search interface to email and then developer zone. But this time, they are making sense in everything. Hope to get some more offers in coming days.

September 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM

@Jhay – I believe so too and I’m pretty sure they’ll come up with a different feature that will be more awesome than 100 MB attachments. :D

3 years? Wow, that’s a long time. Is it even active? I believe Yahoo! deactivates an email account if there’s no activity for a long period of time.

11. Jhay

September 19, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Gmail will definitely follow suit it’s just a matter of time.

I’ve never logged in to my Yahoo! mail for over three years now. :D

September 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM

@jan – I’m pretty sure Gmail will follow suit and that they won’t allow Yahoo! to have an advantage over them.

Now that Yahoo! Mail supports 100 MB attachments, it works perfectly as your blog backup account. :D

13. jan geronimo

September 17, 2009 at 8:33 AM

That’s great. I just hope Gmail will follow suit as I’m more comfortable using it now. It’s simple and meshes well with Reader, Google Docs and more importantly – few to little spam. “,) And yes- how can I forget, Google Chrome. And if everything goes as scheduled, we’d have Google Wave soon.

But if I need to download large files I’d use my YM account. I make sure it’s active of course. I even use it as my vault for blog backups via email. lols.

September 17, 2009 at 5:55 AM

@Michael – It certainly is and not only for Yahoo! Mail users but also for Gmail users. With this move, Gmail will be forced to increase their file attachment size limit too and I’m expecting them to do so soon. :D

15. Michael

September 17, 2009 at 5:54 AM

wooaaah this is a very good news. Now I know how to attach my large files. thanks for this one jaypee, Im going to try this now.

September 16, 2009 at 4:10 AM

@Industry News – I know, right? Good thing we’re past the days of dial-up now. I didn’t know that broadband Internet in South Africa was that bad. Sorry to hear that.

17. Industry News

September 16, 2009 at 4:05 AM

100 MB sized attachments! Just imagine trying to download one of these in the days of dial-up! It would have taken weeks! Even with the slow broadband we have here in South Africa this will currently still be challenging!