iPad 2: Thinner, Faster, Lighter and FaceTime
Earlier today, Apple officially announced the second-generation iPad. In case you missed it, Apple announced the iPad 2 along with iOS 4.3 during a live event in San Francisco. So what’s new in the iPad 2?
Thinner and Lighter
The iPad 2 is 33% thinner and up to 15% lighter than it’s predecessor, making it easier and more comfortable to use for stuff like surfing the web, checking emails, watching movies, reading books, etc.
With the new 1GHz Apple A5 chip dual core processor, the iPad 2 has faster graphics, can do twice the work, load apps faster and do multitasking smoother. You’ll notice the difference when you surf the web, watch movies, play games, switch between apps and make FaceTime video calls.
iPad 2 users can now enjoy the FaceTime feature to make video calls with family, friends and other users who have FaceTime enabled devices.
The Smart Cover is a slim, flexible and sturdy magnetic cover that provides extra protection for the iPad 2′s screen. Aside from that, it also doubles as a stand for watching movies, making FaceTime video calls or for typing on the on-screen keyboard. What makes the Smart Cover even cooler is that when you close it, the iPad automatically goes to sleep. If you open it, the iPad instantly wakes up without having to press any buttons. The Smart Cover is available in different colors and two different materials – polyurethane and leather.
Aside from those main features, another thing that will make iPad 2 users happy is the addition of two cameras which can be used for FaceTime, taking photos and making HD videos. Also, the iPad 2 boasts a 10-hour life battery thanks to the power efficient A5 chip. The iPad 2 will be running on iOS 4.3 and will be available in both black and white colors.
- 1GHz Apple A5 chip dual core processor
- Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
- Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
- Weight: 1.33 pounds (601 g)
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
- Wi-Fi + 3G model: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Wi-Fi + 3G for Verizon model: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
- 9.7-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display w/ IPS technology
- 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Back camera: Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still camera with 5x digital zoom
- Front camera: Video recording, VGA up to 30 frames per second with audio; VGA-quality still camera
- Photo and video geotagging over Wi-Fi
- 30-pin dock connector port
- 3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack
- Built-in speaker
- Micro-SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
iPad Price List:
iPad 2 Wi-Fi only (16 GB) – $499 ; Wi-Fi + 3G (16GB) – $629
iPad 2 Wi-Fi only (32 GB) – $599 ; Wi-Fi + 3G (32 GB) – $729
iPad 2 Wi-Fi only (64 GB) – $699 ; Wi-Fi + 3G (64 GB) – $829
The iPad 2 will be first released here in the US starting March 11 and will be available on both AT&T and Verizon. Apple will release the iPad 2 on March 25 to the following countries – Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Ireland, Hungary, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and UK.
Anybody planning on buying an iPad 2? What new feature/s do you like most?